Alasgun; New guy

Started by Alasgun, May 02, 2024, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alasgun

Good morning, this looks like an interesting place and ill hang around a bit and see how it goes.
Im a retired Machinist with interest in most Vintage tackle. I found this site while trying to find information on an Orvis 151s and after looking around a bit decided to give this a try.

I guess my first question would be on the quality/desirability of that reel? They dont seem as popular as say quick 331's or Mitchel 301's.

What pricks my interest is quality not rarity.
Thanks, Mike

JasonGotaProblem

Everyone is welcome here, that's the best part.

But admittedly the machinists are the new members I get most excited about.

Welcome aboard!
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Midway Tommy

Welcome, Mike! The Orvis 151S, if it is in excellent condition, is a fairly wanted reel to the right collectors. The main drawback to the Orvis Zangi line is parts availability. Collectors and Zangi & Orvis followers love them but users, not so much. The left hand, i.e. right hand retieve, models are generally worth a little more to some collectors because not as many were made.

Zangi made reels, including those made under the Orvis name are high quality made reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

Welcome, good to have you here.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reeltyme

First of all, welcome to the family.
 As for your Orvis question, I can attest to the quality of the Mitchell as well as the Quick. Nothing produced today of comparable price is made as well. As for the Orvis, I would pass to Midway Tommy. I don't believe they made a spinning reel he hasn't seen and worked on.
Although I am very fond of Mitchell reels in general, if I were to fish with one of the choice, I would probably go with the Quick.

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Welcome Mike from the SoCal Inland Empire! - john

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alasgun

Thanks for the enthusiastic welcome! Im going to enjoy looking into your many sub folders as im sure there's lots of good reading ahead.

Id mentioned "machinist" previously, well here's an example of how my mind works. I made this G.E frame 3 turbine model as a retirement gift for a decent fellow once; a long time ago!

foakes

Wow!!!

Glad to have you on the Site!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Reeltyme

Beautiful! But where do you spool the line?

Alasgun

It's a power source, and would require some gearing to retrieve at a resonable speed. However; it would bring any fish and the boat together!

Mine was on the half shell for display purposes, here's what the real thing looks like all together!

Reeltyme

An amazing piece of work. The miniature cut open view that you created I'm sure, will be cherished by your friend. Now what can you do to a reel?