1938 Hardy Altex no.1 mk.IV manual bail restoration

Started by Woodbilly, May 15, 2024, 10:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodbilly

Hey all!

Back with newest project!

1938 Hardy Altex no.1 mk.IV with manual bail / Jack Johnson assembled.
Came with spare spool, box, and bag.  Box is not Hardy. Still very nice box, though.

Had to give $120 usd for it. It has had an old repair of reel foot stem. It appears very solid, true, and well done. I rough housed it a bit and no give whatsoever.
I figured it was worth it even with repair. Yes?

It has newer single piece handle lock nut vs. older 2 piece style nut set up. Still good finish and fairly clean. Bail is still very snappy and crisp. It was missing the flier worm gear oil port cover. I had another from a spare reel, so that's taken care of. It was also missing fiber drag washer, but one can be easily had at hardware store, so non issue.
Both spools have been smoothed, so all script is gone. Boo!!
Not a huge deal, because spares are hard to come by. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, I suppose.

I'm going to strip it down and clean all parts. No finish removal. This one will have her battle scars, but I will be polishing all brightwork, though.

BTW: Do any members recognize this reel? It came from USA.
Also, any info on box and canvas cloth bag, would be appreciated.
Did these come with svelt bad, drawstring bag or open bag, like mine?

Also notice, it has no "grease" script on body, where flier worm gear oil port is. So, that answers my question. This was only on the earlier reel bodies. I have a no.2 mechanical bail parts reel and my recently restored no.1 with mechanical bail. Both have this script.
They also both have makers mark on flier, as well as check carrier . My newer Altex, only on check carrier.
Just my observations.

Anyways, I'll post up more pictures as it progresses.

Woodbilly

Back with updates!!

Got this one stripped down without issue.

Spring bail arm much different than mechanical bail arm, which I expected. No biggie. I included pictures of proper way for spring removal. Longer leg of spring rests on threaded post stud and when popped off of stud, it releases the spring tension, so it can be removed fully from slotted stud.
Spring tension arm is held onto flier with tiny wire bent over. Included picture of it, as well. This can be bent straight and pulled out to remove arm.
Flier dust cover has no ring gear and 3 screws vs. 2 on a mechanical bail and non rotating shaft and pivot arm are different than older Edward Broadfoot model. Also handle nut is 1 piece.

I had this one stripped in an hour and half, this time. Much easier 2nd go round. I punched that check carrier rivet pin first smack! My collet removal tool worked like a charm, too!

Also learned, to keep all screws separated while cleaning for easier reassembly. I mistakenly cleaned all together in a Tupperware and sorting who went where was a bear.
Not this time.
I included a macro picture of the screws I'm dealing with. Lol

Well, on to cleaning and polishing!!

sandbar

Very cool and well made!

How do you come up with the manufacturing date on these reels?
I read that Jack Johnson was a Hardy Reel Maker from 1938-1966.
-Steve

Woodbilly

Quote from: sandbar on June 01, 2024, 09:07:08 PMVery cool and well made!

How do you come up with the manufacturing date on these reels?
I read that Jack Johnson was a Hardy Reel Maker from 1938-1966.
-Steve

This one, I'm not 100% positive on date, since it has one piece nut on handle.

My 2 older mechanical gear bail arm Edward Broadfoot has the 2 part handle retaining nuts vs. later one piece nut and it also has "grease" script stamped on the body, where the worm gear oil port is. I have only seen this on early reels.
My EB no.1 also has initals stamped on flier as well as brass check carrier.
Also, no soldered wire on roller end of bail arm.

Both of my mechanical bails are like this. no.1 and no.2 versions both.

I haven't seen any later models with initals on flier,either.

My earlier reels also have a different style of pin attached to the end of the non rotating shaft, where it rides in the slider block.

The Jack Johnson has none of the above earlier reel marks, so it may be later year. IDK

It also has Bakelite spool instead of alloy. I would think this would date it earlier, too, but like stated, IDK.

sandbar

You have piqued my interest it British reels.
Here is some information from the Hardy 1937 Catalog.

Gfish

Yes, really cool and well made. Built to last!
How long has Hardy been making spinning("stationary drum") reels?
Great post/pictures Woodbilly, and great edition Sandbar.

Seem there's always something fishing related on the horizon that I can explore,... Hardy Altex...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sandbar

Quote from: Gfish on June 02, 2024, 06:25:54 PMYes, really cool and well made. Built to last!
How long has Hardy been making spinning("stationary drum") reels?
Great post/pictures Woodbilly, and great edition Sandbar.

Seem there's always something fishing related on the horizon that I can explore,... Hardy Altex...

Hey Gfish

Altex No. 1 Fixed Spool (1932 -1966)
Altex No. 2 Fixed Spool (1932 - 1966)
Altex No. 3 Fixed Spool (1935 - 1963)
Altex Sea Fixed Spool (1937 - 1959)

-Steve

Woodbilly

Wow!! Thanks for posting this!
Did you happen to see my thread on my no.1 mechanical gear bail stripdown?
The info you provided, talking about it, is so cool.
I also have a no.2 mechanical bail I am soon to aquire and strip/ restore.

I also have a no.1 and 2 spring bail and love fishing these reels. 2.75:1 ratio, so much fun landing feisty crappie.
I definitely am in love with the mechanical bail. So smooth and quiet.
So I always try to use one of each, each outing. Lol

sandbar

Quote from: Woodbilly on June 02, 2024, 06:36:46 PMWow!! Thanks for posting this!
Did you happen to see my thread on my no.1 mechanical gear bail stripdown?
The info you provided, talking about it, is so cool.
I also have a no.2 mechanical bail I am soon to aquire and strip/ restore.

I also have a no.1 and 2 spring bail and love fishing these reels. 2.75:1 ratio, so much fun landing feisty crappie.
I definitely am in love with the mechanical bail. So smooth and quiet.
So I always try to use one of each, each outing. Lol

You are welcome Sir.
I did read your other post and the Benora post as well.
You are very thorough and take great pictures.
I'm going to keep my eye out for a reasonably priced Altex.
Now that I have seen how cool they are, I must own one.
I will post some pages from the Hardy 1957 Catalog also.
Thanks

-Steve

sandbar

Hardy Catalog 1957
Altex pages.

Woodbilly

Great info! Gonna give this all a thorough read.
 I'm suddenly addicted to basket cases and stripping these metal works of art and bringing them back to their former glory.
 So much fun to fish and they just look amazing, mechanically, for their age.

Woodbilly

Hey, all!
I'm back with a little more progress on the no.1 Jack Johnson.

Been working on polishing up the brightwork and little bits.
Coming along nicely and getting easier with each stripping.

Getting hooked on these old Hardy's...

Internals on this later reel vs. the earlier, Edward Broadfoot, are noticeable in the solid pivot arm, non rotating shaft slider pin, one piece handle nut, and handle bushing with oil port hole, not present on early no.1.

If you look closely at the slider pin on the non rotating shaft and handle ring gear, you can see the holes for the securing wire, to keep pin in place on the pivot arm.
The Edward Broadfoot does not have this on either and pivot arm is also vented vs. solid.

sandbar

Woodbilly

Quote from: sandbar on June 05, 2024, 11:30:48 PMNice work.
Which reel do you prefer?

I love the mechanical bail no.1 and I have a old crusty mechanical bail no.2 en route, I am going to strip and restore, as well.
 The no.2 is more sized for the largwr river fish, I target, but I love using the no.1 for catching crappie.

Woodbilly

Got the flier all finished up. Pretty straightforward, as far as assembly.

I had to fabricate a bail arm holding cotter pin. Original just broke to pieces, upon removal. A one time part, i assume. I just used a staple, as the wire had to be tiny.

After reading all the stripping info, I used oil only on this one and seems to be fine this way. Bail is very responsive and snaps with authority. Much, much different than the silent gear driven bail, I have come to love, not that I don't love the trip lever spring bails.

Well, I'll keep you posted on future progress!