Penn 502, cal 2 sped bearing ?

Started by f451degrees, March 19, 2012, 07:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f451degrees

I recently bought a used Penn int. 50w with a Cal 2 speed conversion.  I tore it apart and other than the asbestos drag that needs to be upgraded it looked to be in excellent condition.

I repacked the bearings as per Alan's instructions.  They appeared to be in excellent shape, not rust or metal filings found.  BUT, with the spool bearings installed with the shaft in place, NO FREE SPOOL.  I mean 0.   :(

So I removed the bearing and cleaned out the grease and when they were clean and without grease they would not spin very many times, when spun by hand.  2 maybe 3 rotations.  Repacked them and still no free spool.

The grease was omc waterproof bearing grease.

So my question is, are the bearings bad?  Did I use too thick of grease, it is only 40 degrees?

Thanks in advance

Tom

alantani

if you packed the spool bearings with grease at all, that is fine for trolling, but you will get zero freespool.  chances are the bearings are bad.  hold the bearing in your left hand and press down and twist with your right index finger.  if you feel any roughness at all, figure the bearing is bad. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

f451degrees

OK, no grease and will try again then order new bearings

thanks Alan

so you know the part numbers for the new drag washer and plate, looks like they list 3 different ones.   the plate is worn on the outside?  will the new drag one be 3/16 like the old one or will i have to shim?

Tom

Norcal Pescador

The new drag assembly for the 50 should be the 117DN-50 (Dura-Drag). As I recall it was a no-brainer direct replacement.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

john2244

That is very interesting about the drag because with all my Cal conversion Cal always upgrades the drag.  Is this a very old conversion and are you sure he did the work.  He puts a sticker inside the end plate.

Just for information,

John