Need help

Started by coastalobsession, March 19, 2012, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastalobsession

I need help identifying this reel...will get pics. It's a yellow reel with shinny metal rings on the out side like a penn senator. It has made in France engraved on the side plate. It's a right handed reel. No bearings. Plastic handle grip and the star mechanism has 1 through 5 engraved on it. The spool looks just like a penn senators but is not built like a penn( gearing system) please help thanks
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

redsetta

G'day CO,
Sounds like a Mitchell of some kind.
Does it look anything like the 600 series here:
http://www.mitchellreels.net/index.php?option=com_easygallery&act=categories&cid=574&Itemid=72
Will have a better idea with pics, though.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani

yellow plastic side plates.  a mitchell!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Great little reel, nothing to corrode in these models. Many 624's still in use over here. Some parts available.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 20, 2012, 08:00:56 AM
Great little reel, nothing to corrode in these models. Many 624's still in use over here. Some parts available.
X2
They are great reels, I have used them in the past. I hate to say this about my Penn, but I believe that the chomed finish on those was much better, I bet that yours is still nice and shiny. I'm sure that you have that nice pancake handle, the only problem with those Mitchel's was that the side plate would get hair line cracks, but still functional. The plates were actually antique white and turned yellow with age. I don't believe that they had a good recipe for those plates when first made.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I have 3 of them in a box somewhere but 2 have a crack between the handle side bearing and the gear sleve hole.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

john2244

I recently purchased a Garcia Mitchell 602A, it is about the same size as a Penn squidder 146. I am not sure how old this reel is but like Sal said the chrome is new looking.  I will fish this reel this summer.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2012, 02:21:15 PM
I have 3 of them in a box somewhere but 2 have a crack between the handle side bearing and the gear sleve hole.

A common fault but still functional as Sal has said.  I regularly see lots of them  being fished with cracked side plates oblivious to the owners. ;D ;D

redsetta

QuoteA common fault but still functional as Sal has said...
I've got a couple and they're still fairly common in NZ.
I'm yet to see one that didn't have a hairline crack in the right side plate, though it rarely affects 'fishability'...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer