Newell P454-F parts missing

Started by pueblowestdude, March 20, 2012, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pueblowestdude

I picked up a newell with the handle, nut and associated washers missing. Also several side plate small machine screws missing and left side bearing. What are my options for ordering parts? I called Yuliana Chavez at valley mfg and she didn't have access for schematics for the particular model nor parts, although she thought they would reopen next month.
Probably ought to just go ahead and upgrade to newer handle, and boca bearings. Screws kinda looked like penn sizes.
Any suggestions?
thanks greg spera

Panama

I suggest you call around and ask shops in your area if they have the parts you need.  If you are lucky you can also find someone on this (or another) forum with the parts you need.  I would not hold my breath on Valley Mfg. opening up again anytime soon.  If none of the above works out, Newell parts are going for a premium on ebay.  Parting the reel and selling the parts could be the last resort.  Hope it works out for you!
Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

redsetta

G'day and welcome Greg,
I reckon you've already got the right idea.
Might as well upgrade the handle with one of these: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=252.0
Alan may have some side plate screws and/or washers, but you could also try here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2155.msg24001#msg24001
Dawn at Smooth Drag can most likely sort your bearings: http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

For the screws, just go to your local hardware store and get them  (I think it's something like 8-32).  Make sure they're SS.  Readily available and pretty cheap.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

kili05

Best thing to do if you really like this reel is to buy a 200,300,or400 series reel with the parts you need.  There are parts reels on eBay...or just bid on cheap one.  Get a p series if you can...i see some cheaper 200 series reels on ebay.  The p454f's are pretty expensive ($200-$300)  Make sure the bearing cup is metal on the reel you buy.  You're not going to find any replacement screws or nuts from a hardware store...if you do you'll have found the pot of gold that we've all been looking for. Might want to check the schematics for your reel, as you might be missing others things than just those listed. There are 2 versions...one with the original 4 stacks, and the newer version. 

pueblowestdude

So far this is where project is at: Borrowed a bearing from another reel to temporarily assemble and give it a spin test, which it passed free spool. Failed in gear. Ratchet dog was installed upside down. Didn't miss a cog after correction. Called dawn at smooth drag and ordered bearings and drags.
Here is what I found out on screws: parts list says for example OV-534 and description says 5-40 x 1/4" oval head. I think it is a special length of .340". The description just helps you visually sort which screw is which. A FI-662 is fillister 6-40x 5/8", which correct screw may or may not be exactly .625". Called fastenal because they list screws close to these descriptions. They think they can get them although they are vendor supplied items instead of stocked items. Fillisters are 2.40$ and ovals are .40$ a piece (need like 4 screws). Bridges screws need to be exactly right length, side plate screws can be a little long since blind holes are plenty deep. I will just have to cut them my self. I will pick out a souped up handle assembly. But that leaves me short a handle nut p/n3-22 and nylon washer 3-23 and lock washer? 3-16.
Any suggestions for a nut and lock washer?
Also this is what I started out with:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230761774764?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
Since I found the wealth of info contained at this website I have cleaned and repaired most of my reels from stradics and curado's to senator's and jiggers. The tutorials here are as good as receiving instructions from a class room setting. Good instructions take the mystery out of how these little machines work, and without this logic I doubt I would have been interested in a good challenge. thanks

Panama

Great that you are sorting it out.  I was wondering if that was the reel that you purchased and you did confirm that with the link.  For that price it is worth the investment or you can pick up another P series reel and fill in the parts. Great progress!!! 
Get on the water, Man!!!

pueblowestdude

What do you think is a fair price for handle nuts? What if a guy had the machine shop make a big run of them? Is 5$ high? Also should the new nuts have a oil port added like penn?

Norcal Pescador

My personal opinion is the oil port on Penns is a waste of effort. I believe it's there for those who don't actually service their reels. I've seen more than a few that had way too much grease and/or oil inside from well-intentioned over-lubing.
The only other place I've seen stainless steel filister head 5-40 screws is from McMaster-Carr.  www.mcmaster.com
Good luck and I hope it all works out.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

pueblowestdude

I called both mcmaster and micro and they didn't have the machine screws. Fastenal said they would order these 5-40 and 6-40 screws, so hopefully they come in.
The last missing item is the handle nut, a 32 pitch by I believe 7/16. Since there is no regular supply for these I thought to ask how much to make them, but, if newell starts selling parts again, then hand making them is not cost effective and I will just wait since I only ocean fish once a year.

kili05

Please post here if fastenal comes through with the screws...from what other members on other forums have said, don't hold your breath waiting for Keith to open Newell anytime soon.  This is coming from people who have worked at the factory...and are friends with him.  Let's hope he, or someone else does make it happen though...

peesherman

So just to clarify, you need the 5 screws to hold the sideplate to the frame and the 4 screws to secure the bridge to the sideplate correct?  im pretty sure I can get the screws for you.  The handle nut, probably not.  If you need bearing caps, I can probably get that too.  As far as washers go, I own 7 Newells and none of them have part# 3-142 and 3-16.  As long as your drag stack is correctly stacked, you have your bellevile (part# 5-145), your spacer and part# 3-18, your drag will be safe.  How is your drag stack?  Penn washers fit pretty good if you cant get newell washers.  My belleviles broke in my 550's so I switched to the penn tension springs to get my drag back.  LMK what you need exactly and I can make a few calls.  Alan wont be around till April 1st about. 

pueblowestdude

Fastenal can only get the 5-40x1 1/4 oval head(sizes jump from 5/8 to 1 1/4 long) p/n 0170175. $25 per hundred(I have an account and don't have to pay regular retail). No good on the 6-40 for bridge. So I still have not found the exact replacement screws.
I think you are right the under handle washer can be omitted. Have not assembled new drag washers to see how they fit. I will check it out this weekend. Found a guy to sell me a tiburon handle with used nut.
Yep, just need a few screws. 5 sideplate and 4 bridge screws. I have bearing caps and now new bearings.

peesherman

Alright, let me make some calls and ill get back to you...