A question for TSI 301 users

Started by antonv, March 20, 2012, 05:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antonv

I've been reading about TSI 301 from different posts all over the internet, and no doubt, it is a remarkable product.  But, a question on how it can protect against debris and other small solid particles that might get stuck in the bearing.

I went fishing last weekend (in salt) and a day after the trip I opened up my reel just to check.  I noticed that the oil (SpeedX) in the bearings kinda discolored.  It was a sort of whitish color, so I'm guessing that the saltwater got into them.  I immediately flushed, cleaned and re-oiled them with SpeedX, so now everything's fine.

My question is, if I used TSI301(dry lube?) and water went into the bearing, won't salt or other solid particles get stuck in there when the water evaporates?

Nessie Hunter

TSI 301 is NOT a dry lube..   
It is a wet ~ Lubricant, Anti Seize, penetrant, cleaner...
(copied right off the label)...

Its a very thin oil & Cleaner/penetrant mixed,  The cleaner/penetrant evaporates, leaving just a light coat of oil...

The TSI 321 is JUST the oil....

Cleaning the bearings well prior to application is a must (for any service & oil).

There is no known way to keep particles out completely...
Even the Shields will allow them to enter. 
For every particle you can see there are a thousand that are to small to see...
Periodic cleaning is the only way to keep the bearings free of them...

Fresh water rinse after use, and periodic cleaning, based on type and amount of usage!!

If the Reel isnt in the Surf water or laid on the ground, its not likely to get sand inside of it. 
Salt deposits will emulsify (Liquify) and wash away with Fresh water rinse...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

JGB

TSI when applied in minimal amounts does not leave a wet surface. It will reject most things except metal.
How to get the minimal amount: Apply TSI 301 (one drop) and spin the bearing . let it sit for 5 or more minutes
and the blow out vigorously with compressed air. You can go one step further and quickly blast with carb cleaner and blow out the cleaner. residual TSI will migrate out of the metal pores. They say that it will not collect dust and dirt. That is why they use it as a gun protectant (for the exterior) as it does not collect dust and dirt like ordinary oil.

This does not mean that it will stop dirt from entering the bearing. In the case of spool bearings (lever drags) always service the drag and wipe it down before servicing the bearings. Greasing the drag will keep the drag from generating free floating carbon dust and keep the bearing cleaner. The bigger issue is salt crystals forming in the bearings. If there is not enough liquid oil present to hold the salt or dirt  in suspension it will migrate out of the path of the balls.

FYI - if you apply too much TSI it will migrate as a thin molecular film over any metal surfaces it contacts. You may have noticed that bearing seem to get dry after a few days. The problem is if the liquid TSI traps any particles they will be left on the bearing surfaces once the TSI spreads out. Experiment - Take a piece of steel, Clean it  as best you can. Apply one drop of TSI in the center of a flat surface and let it sit for a few days. It will eventually coat the entire piece of metal and feel dry to the touch. When you treat your reel with TSI the entire reel will be somewhat protected over time.

Jim N.

antonv

Quote from: JGB on March 21, 2012, 06:09:26 AM

...The bigger issue is salt crystals forming in the bearings. If there is not enough liquid oil present to hold the salt or dirt  in suspension it will migrate out of the path of the balls...

Jim N.

This is what I was looking for :) 

I actually thought that the liquid oil offered better protection against solid debris, by keeping them away from the surface and getting wedged in between the balls (since the solid particles will be floating on the oil).

Thanks Jim!