Break-in After Overhaul?

Started by dogdad1, March 20, 2012, 11:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

Hi -

I haven't seen any mention about a workbench-type break-in procedure to follow after performing a reel overhaul, and wondered if there is such a thing.  I could imagine new/cleaned parts (washers, drags, etc) might have to wear-in a bit before optimum performance and wanted to start exercising them before I hooked into 'The Big One' and started running afoul of any issues on the water.  I'm aware of the initial drag-setting process, but couldn't even that change as a reel gets broke-in?  When repairing scuba-regulators, we'd put the reg on the bench in the breathing-simulator for awhile to seat everything to its new tolerances and then re-adjust it before calling it ready.

As it is, I've told my wife that I must go fishing to check out a new reel each time, but that's running a bit thin since I use that excuse for everything.

Any help here?

"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Jimmer

So, now you can go fishing to check out your overhauled reels. Gotta remember that one!
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Nuvole

I do a few dry "pull test" with drag on strike after each overhaul.
If I do(it happen) to something big on the first actual run, and found that the drag lose tension when grease have been squeeze out, I'll quickly thumb the spool then click the drag setting a bit more before level up to "strike" again.

Nessie Hunter

I have seen, or am aware of, some bearings (especially Ceramic Hybrids) that are noisy when new.  They seem to wear in fast tough, 20 to 40 casts...  Quiet right down...
I just tell the customer to expect it.....

Drags, I always thumb the spool in several settings and turn the handle to work them into a perfect seat.   
I can also feel any problems that way....
A 'few' have not been perfectly flat, (bumps - high spots on the woven Carbontex fabric) that wears/seats them in fine....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

Quote from: dogdad1 on March 20, 2012, 11:41:34 AM

As it is, I've told my wife that I must go fishing to check out a new reel each time, but that's running a bit thin since I use that excuse for everything.

Any help here?

makes sense to me.  let us know if your wife signs off on it.  i'd like to try it if it does.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

On occasion I have had to run in a drag when it just does not run right. Best way I found is to put in on a line winder and hold the spool while applying the drag with various settings. Run until the spool gets too hot to hold. Let it cool and do it again. Let cool and recheck the drag. Inspection of problem drags have shown minute quantities  of adhesive or bonding resin poking through the carbon fibers making for a slightly jumpy or chattery drag  when it gets hot. Running in the drag hard will either fix it or bring out the problem even more. When this happens replace the drag disk as defective. You can torch it with a propane torch (heat till it glows red) and burn off the excess resin. You do need to be careful not to burn off the resin bonding the carbon layer in place (better to replace the drag).
I had to do this when evaluating some early Soltera Lever drags. Okuma has since upgraded the drags to the same material as used in the Cavalla series reels. Very nerdy but what else would a retired R/D engineer do for fun ;D

Jim N.

dogdad1

I'm with you, JGB.  I'd rather work the reel extra-hard in the shop than to find out that something wasn't quite right out on the water.

And thanks for the others who posted, kinda figured there's a number of different ways to check 'em out but had wondered if there was a 'gold standard'.  But I'm not going to let wife know about either way.

Ron
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

Brendan

The final step in any reel service:
         Take it fishing, then repeat.

Make it a T shirt with A.T. autograph on it send me 3% of sales, and everybody's happy.
Tight Lines, Brendan.