NEW GUY TO SMF

Started by LTM, March 20, 2012, 07:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

HELLO GUYS,

This is my first time posting to any forum, so please bear with me on my simplicity.  First I would like to say hello to all members and thank Alan T for starting this excellent forum.  A little about me.  I'm entering forced retirement reluctantly (back injury), but still looking forward to some part-time teaching.  I've been "Blue Water (aka Ocean)" fishing for approx 30 years (ocean much closer than fresh water). Im located in So Cal/LA area (for the time-being), and have only been on a handful of "Long Range" trips (Alijos, Clarion).  When I do go fishing it's usually over-nite trips (often re-riding for another day) or 2-3 day trips (chasing Albacore or San Diego to fish Mexico).  I started servicing my own reels from day-one w/varing results and sent my more expensive reels to tackle shops for servicing.  Over time I started to service my expensive reels as my personal experience increased. I've had the good fortune to look over the shoulder of a good friend (20+ yrs) who runs a tackle store that does reel repairs and rod building (Pete W. @ Just Fishing) and I have learned so much more. I ran across this site about 4 years ago and have taken my repairs/mods to the next level thanx to all of your contributions. My tackle ranges from Diawa Coastal 153h to Avet EX PRO 4/0-2, old and new Calstar/Seeker/Shimano rods.  I love light-line fishing and using jigs and plastics.  I've placed in some of the local ocean tourniments, and dont get into the jack-pot on the local boats (just kills my enjoyment). Im a very discriminating shopper (my engineering background) so I believe in researching all that I purchase (wish I knew about this site prior to some of my reel purchases).

Now on to my questions to you guys.  Im looking for some reels/rods to carry me through my retirement years and have a lot of questions.  Should I group my questions by subject matter or drop the whole bomb and let it explode.

Thanx,

Leo

PS  TYPICALLY I TYPE IN ALL CAPS, IM NOT SHOUTING ITS AN OLD TRATE FROM MY DRAFTING/ENGINEERING BACKGROUND. NOW, ITS BECAUSE MY AGING EYS'S CAN SEE IT BETTER!

Bryan Young

Hi Leo.  Welcome and sorry to hear about your injury...but I can see that it will not stop any fisherman.

Regarding your questions, if your questions will spread across several reels, then post in general questions and trouble shooting.  If you believe that it's specific to a make or reel, post per manufacturer.

Thank you for joining.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

THANX FOR THE WELCOM BRYAN,

IVE ALREADY DONE AS YOU HAVE SUGGESTED.  LET ME KNOW IF SOMETHING IS NOT CORRECT, IM IN THE PROCESS OF READING YOUR HELP FILES.  ALSO IVE POSTED IN THE ROD SECTION AND I UNDERSTAND THATS ONE OF YOUR AREAS OF EXPERTISE.

THANX AGAIN FOR THE WELCOME

LEO

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

THANX FOR THE WELCOME ALAN, YOU REALLY ADD THE PERSONAL TOUCH TO THIS FORUM AND I APPRECIATE THAT.  I HAVE POSTED A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS THAT I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK ON. THERE ARE TWO POSTS IN REEL TUTORIALS UNDER "OTHER REELS" ONE UNDER DAIWA TUTORIALS AND ANOTHER UNDER RODS.  TAKE CARE AND THANX AGAIN FOR CREATING AND MAINTAINING A GREAT SITE WITH GOOD PEOPLE.

LEO

alantani

also, just to let you know, SMF is the name of the software for the website, not the name of the website itself. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Welcome Leo. Nice to have you with us.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Irish Jigger

A belated welcome to the site Leo.

kamuwela

Norcal Pescador

Welcome Leo, from Redding. You picked the right places for your questions, just like Bryan said. You've undoubtedly got a lot of experience so feel free to help when you can.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bill B

A BIG hello from the Inland Empire..,
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!