SALTIGA 30T vs TORIUM 30 JIGGING REEL's

Started by LTM, March 20, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

HEY GUYS, I HAVE BOTH OF THESE REELS THAT I USE FOR THROWING IRON (TADY 45'S,ETC). THESE REELS HAVE DIFFERENT RETRIEVE SPEEDS (36" vs 43") WHICH I SELECT DEPENDING ON MY TARGET SPECIES.  IM A LIGHT LINE FISHERMAN AND THIS GOES FOR THROWING IRON AS-WELL; SO I TYPICALLY THROW IRON ON 25# TEST. SELDOM DO I USE 30#; MY THEORY IS THAT IF THEY (THE FISH) WILL EAT 30#, THEY WILL EAT 40# UNLESS THEY ARE REAL FINIKY. SO, INSTEAD OF USING 30# I GENERALLY USE 25# WITH PRETTY GOOD SUCCESS. MY QUESTION IS REGARDING DEPENDABILITY; SPECIFICALLY THE ANTI-REVERSE DOGS IN THE REELS. IVE READ POSTS STATING THAT BOTH OF THESE REELS HAVE ISSUES AND THE TORIUM HAS A FIX. IN REGARDS TO THE SALTIGAS THAT I OWN, WHEN DOES THE THE DOG PROBLEM BECOME AN ISSUE? IS IT A MATTER OF WEAR OR HIGH DRAG SETTING THUS INDUCING TOO MUCH PRESSURE ON THE DOG.  CONSIDERING THAT THESE ARE MY LOCAL JIGGING REELS FOR 25/30# TEST, MIGHT THIS BE SOMETHING I SHOULD BE CONSERNED WITH?

LEO

wallacewt

thats a very good ?
i am also a light line advocate.always have been.
the problems begin when the gear is fished to the max.
lots of my mates love the tug of war,head down #### up.
i like softly,softly.
different if you are high above the water and you have to lift.
ill leave the technicals to the gurus.

LTM

WALACEWT,

THANX FOR THE HELLO, BTW IF TYPING IN ALL CAPITALS BOTHERS YOU LET ME KNOW. IM NOT SHOUTING; JUST CAN SEE IT BETTER.

LEO

alantani

the spring and dog upgrade makes the torium a more reliable reel. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Alan would not the pawl on the 30T only come into play and be used if the anti reverse bearing failed? If this bearing failed would the reel not have more play or movement in the handle signaling the breaing failure? Then would not the dog only get wear if the person kept fishing the 30T and did not repair or replace said bearing? As I see it the dog is more of a failsafe providing backup to the anti reverse bearing and would only be used if this bearing failed. I'm I off base here? Thank you in advance

LTM

Thanx Alan and SoCal,

Alan, "reliable" is the key word in your statement here; not necessarly "stronger", etc.  Also, my understanding of the IAR/pawl setup is redundancy/backup as SoCal has stated.

Thanx guys for the feedback.

Leo

LTM

Guys,

I now understand (thanx to the input from this forum) that the IAR bearing fails due to age/wear in all reels with IAR bearings, however how much does excessive load/drag play in this situation.  Doesnt fishing the reel at maximum drag cause premature wear with the IAR roller bearing causing it to slip, therefore causing the backup pawl/dog to be utilized?  So, other-than normal wear and drags set within reasonable working limits I should not be overly concerned with this issue as long as I check wear on these two items during normal real servicing.

Leo