Electric reels-Input and Experiences wanted

Started by reelynuts, March 22, 2012, 08:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelynuts

Hi Folks! I'm considering investing in an electric reel for tilefishing, and deep wreck/codfishing off the northeast shores of New York, New Jersey, and Rhode Island, and I'm looking for some advice from any of you good folks. The depths average between 350-over 1000 feet, but seem to run close to the middle near 600-700 feet. I am a seasoned fisherman, and have plenty of normal conventional gear (several Penn 4/0's (113h), a TLD 20+25(1-speed),a TLD 20-2-speed, Avets, etc.), but I have never done any fishing (bottom fishing anyway) in these depths. I will give it a try without an electric first, and I have been advised not to exceed around a 4:1 gear ratio, or at least stay away from the 6:1 ratios. I'll probably use the 4/0, and/or a TLD 20 1-speed for the first trip.

My friend has done several tilefish trips, and brags about how much fun it is and how good the fish taste. However he is only 25 years old and I'm pushing 43 and smoke 2 packs a day. He also tells of 2-3 POUND sinkers (yes 32-48 oz.), 50-80 lb. test braid, and a pretty heavy duty rod, so the electric reel that I "MAY" buy should hold a minimum of around 350 yards of lets say 65 lb. test braid. My friend suggests 500 yards which I will probably do, and I may go with 80 lb. braid. I like to do everything on the heavy side, and would even prefer an over sized reel (slightly).

I do plan to take my "maiden voyage into the abyss" with manual reels. If I enjoy it (but may not love reeling up 3 pounds from 1000 feet to check my bait), I may invest in an electric reel.  Do any of you guys have any experience or recommendations for this sort of thing? I would THINK that I would LEAN toward the Diawa Dendoh or similar types rather than the ones that basically bolt on a motor to an existing reel (like a 4/0 or 6/0 senator), unless you guys recommend differently. Maybe the Diawas are junk? Or, maybe they are the best! I don't know. That's what I am asking you guys.

I am considering and hoping to find a used one one on ebay or something else online as I don't see the need to drop a lot of money on something that I may use very rarely. Maybe one of you guys are ready to part with one that you never use ::)? I'm willing to pay a fair price. I'm less interested in cosmetic condition than functionality. I can service the reel aspect of one of these things- I think ???.(Grease bearings, oil, clean, etc.) The electrical, digital aspect of it though, I do not feel comfortable with. If it has been dropped on the ground OR in the water- no thanks.

Anyway, any information or insight, or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated. By the way, my friend just went tilefishing last week and had the pleasure of catching 50-80 (often double-header) spiny dogfish and 10 or so tilefish-all in around 600 feet of water. His previous trip though landed him no dogs and he won the pool with a 30 pound Tile and cought a dozen or so smaller ones.

I'll have to hope for the best on my maiden voyage. If its going to be all dogfish, I may never go again. However, I have always dreamed of fishing for cod or halibut in Alaska or maybe Norway-Someday! Perhaps If I had this electric reel, I may pursued myself to take that trip ;), but with my luck, I wont have the right voltage or something like that. Please let me know what you think. Best of luck to you all in this upcoming season. Thanks for your replies! Reely Nuts

alantani

if i were going to do something like this from my boat, i would use my scotty downriggers.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

conchydong

If you really want to get into deep dropping for tilefish, grouper and other deepwater species, there is nothing wrong with a electramate bolted on to a Penn Senator. I have fished all size reels from 4/0 to 12/0s,  I currently use a Electramate 1412g on a 12/0 for basic deepdroppping.
The Japanese (Daiwa, Miyah Epoch, etc.) motorized reels are fine (expensive) but are specialized and generally can only be serviced by the Manufacturer. I also prefer not to have circuit panels on reels, ovens, washers and dryers or anything else that I can use a lever or knob.
When they go out, it can get expensive.

Where I fish the current can run up to 5 knots and up to 10lbs of weight is required, so hand cranking could be a reel bummer. The results are ,however, worth the effort.

Makule

The bottom fishing guys here in Hawaii generally use electric reels as they will go as deep as 300 fathoms.  Electramate with a 9/0 or 12/0 are common
(12/0 is better as you'll need the stronger brakes), and some guys use the more expensive ones (E.G., Lindgren Pitman).  The first time you crank up good size fish (or even just your weight) from 700 feet, you'll be convinced it'll be your last.

In my view, simple is better, which means Electramate with Senator.  The down side is that they are noisy.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

kamuwela

Quote from: Makule on March 22, 2012, 07:23:25 PM
The bottom fishing guys here in Hawaii generally use electric reels as they will go as deep as 300 fathoms.  Electramate with a 9/0 or 12/0 are common
(12/0 is better as you'll need the stronger brakes), and some guys use the more expensive ones (E.G., Lindgren Pitman).  The first time you crank up good size fish (or even just your weight) from 700 feet, you'll be convinced it'll be your last.

In my view, simple is better, which means Electramate with Senator.  The down side is that they are noisy.

ive even seen them troll with electramates and 12/0 or tiagra 80.

Russ57

I'll vote for the electramate too.  You can always take it off and use the reel without.  I'd get a big old senator too.  The reels you mention are too small.

Few want to bother with all the work so it is an underfished resource.  Surprisingly the fish generally aren't all the big but often great eating.