Hollow splice

Started by Squirmypug, March 23, 2012, 03:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

When splicing mono into hollow spectra (100lb spectra and mono) how far should the mono be inserted into the hollow? Also what kind of line do you use for the serve and how long/many wraps should the serve be? Thanks
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Keta

I've tested splices with as little as 6" in the hollow but I go 3'-4' now.  For under 80lb I use 2 15 turn nail knots spaced 1-1/2" to 2" apart for serving, for 80lb and up 1" of tight half hitches followed by a 5 turn nail knot to lock the serving down.  I glue all servings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Squirmypug

That was really fast, thanks guys.  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Norcal Pescador

For 80-130 pound mono into 135 pound hollow I go in 4-5 feet and serve with a 10 turn nail knot of 6 pound braid. Glue the serve. Don't know if that's a recommended method, but so far it works. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

I neglected to mention serving line.  I use white 30lb JB most of the time but on big topshots 40lb hollow has been working better.  I got a very large spool of 40lb hollow to spool the new reels for my "boss" so I have it around.  I'm starting to spool most of my 15lb-30lb reels with 40lb hollow now and it's working well.  A Penn 501 takes a lot of it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Squirmypug

I was thinking of 30 or 50lb PP for the serve, seems like just about anything will work. Keta are you able to splice the 40lb hollow? That is some very thin stuff.

Keta

40lb PP hollow splices well and that's what I have left on the large spool.  The only 40lb JB hollow I've had was the non-spliceable early stuff.

Mark Twain