LUNA 203 REBUILD PROBLEM

Started by LTM, March 24, 2012, 01:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Guys,

I goofed-up on servicing my Luna 203.  I disassembled my left side plate and removed the Magnet holder (Key# 11, the inner-most gray circle) without noting its position relative to the side plate (Key# 7, outer-most gray circle).  As you can see in the picture below from the tutorial, the notches in the magnet and side plate are aligned with each other (and originally mine were not).  How do I get this right again?

Secondly, how do I remove Retainer(A) (key# 6, big circle clip in the upper right), its not mentioned in the rebuild?

Link to diagram: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_TD_Luna_203%2C_253.pdf
Leo

alantani

hoo, boy!  i never touch the magnets.  anyone got a clue? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Clem

LTM

I got the magnet holder part.  If you pull out the Magnet (key# 11) which is actually the outermost gray circle (my bad) and muck with the cast control mechanism on the outer plate this is how you re-orientate it:
1. remove the magnet holder (key# 11) (which is out anyway since you cant get it back in)
2. turn the cast control on the exterior of the side plate (key# 7) to the "Max" setting
3. place the magnet holder with the notch lined up with the inner notch on the inside of the side plate (as in photo)
Thats that part!! ;D

Note: In the "Max" setting the Magnet holder (Key# 11) can fall out when you invert the side plate to test for functionality. To aleviate this just turn the cast control slowly and manage to hold the Magnet holder with a finger or something with your side plate supporting hand.  Once you decrease the drag a couple of clicks it stays in place via riding in it's slot.

Now to figure out that big circle clip (Retainer A [key# 6]).  Stay tuned...... :o
Leo

PS  How do I check with Nessie?

Nessie Hunter

LOL, just send up the Bat Signal!!!!!     ;D

What a pain..  That ring is a true pain, it has to slide in a little at a time...
Some will snap in with pressure, but that only happened 1 time, the rest had to be slid in carefully....
As I recall I did 2 or 3 of them from one customer, who Surf fishes and they were full of sand...

Been awhile since I did this so my memory is foggy..
Dont recall removing the magnets, they chipped as I tried to pull them out, so left them alone..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

LTM

Hey Nessie,

Thanx for responding!  What Im attempting to do is remove the ring.  Were your instructions for installing the ring (which I will have to do if I can get it off)?  That being said, I should be able to remove it a little at a time  ???  Pheew, think I'll take a break from rebuilding reels (ran out of grease) a moment.  Sad part Im only about 1/3 thru.

Thanx again Nessie.

k1n

Hello,
Just seeing if there is any good method of taking out the outer threaded ring from the rest of the mag assy. I dropped the side plate on the hard concrete floor of my garage and it's a little dinged up and misshapen enough to be a pain to screw back onto the reel. Not sure what is the best way to remove the retaining ring. Any advice is appreciated!

LTM

Kin,

You'll need to get that retainer, Clip A out first (mentioned above). I never could/did. Check the tutorial mentioned above by Nessie Hunter and maybe contact him to see if he remembers.

Leo

k1n

Ok, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a simple way that I overlooked. Backing the damn thing out is a pain -_-

exp2000

The easiest way to pop the sideplate is to use a pair of straight jawed external circlip pliers.
Just span the circlip gap with the jaws and fully expand them. The sideplate should pop out easily.

For the mag assembly, first set the dial to maximum.
Then aligning the marks on the mag assembly insert it into the seat.