Dating old Penn

Started by shootera3, March 24, 2012, 02:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootera3

I have a Penn Silver Beach, it has no model number just Silver Beach on right side plate. The stand is marked with line capacity, 250 yds no.9, 200 yds no.12. I am trying to get approx. date. Any help.

Jimmer

Although I like the few old Penns I own, I have never actually taken one on a date, they mostly just sit on the shelf, lol. Check here for a little basic info - https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/Penn99.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Irish Jigger

Never saw one marked with line capacities.  Perhaps the work of a previous owner!
Quoting part numbers may help establish the age of your reel.

seaeagle2

I'm just a newbie at this, but I get the impression that IF you have the original box, and IF you have the original sales receipt, that would tell you when the reel was sold, but there really isn't a way to date them it doesn't seem to me there's a   "serial number " or date code  on the reels that I've seen.  And of course then guys like me take 3 113's and change the side plates and handles and internals all around and rob parts and add yts kits so you have a missmash of parts.  And every time I hear the knob color theory, I say my dad bought a red, yellow and green knob the same day in the same store in the late 60's.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

john2244

Hello Shootera,

The info I have on a Penn Silver Beach is the reel was made from 1949-1980.  The early reels were marked on the
bottom of the reel stand with the yardage capacity of the reel.  I believe 250 yards was the most common.  At some point Penn moved away from the yardage marking and starting to put a part number on the stand.  Your reel could be a very early production reel if all the parts are original.  This info is very limited and may not be fully correct.
John

alantani

you can put a jigmaster side plate on that reel and it works great!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

john2244

I believe there was also a model 97 sliver beach, 1939 into the 40's.  Your silver beach could be a model 97 vs. a model 99.  If you don't mind I would like to see a pic of that reel.  I have started an old Penn reel collection and would like to see what that reel looks like.

John

email:  john2244@cox.net