Long Beach 67 Question

Started by mryanh, February 10, 2012, 01:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mryanh

First of all I really want to say thanks to this website....It's given me a new hobby and help me to repair many old penns and bring them back to life. This is my first time posting...telling you that many of my questions have already been answered by browsing the forum.

I recently picked up on an old Long Beach 67 really cheap. I didn't really need it but it gives me something to play around with.  I've read on here a couple of times that its really not worth investing money into but when I tore it down I noticed something different from other Penns I've broken down. The main gear appears to be stainless steel. Are my eyes deceiving me? I've tried to look it up and have yet to find anything about a stainless steel gear. Also....if this is the case, is it worth it to invest in a ss gear sleeve and try the 5+1 using 6-60 drags?

akfish

The earliest Penn 67s (and other reels) had SS main gears. These are stronger, but did tend to rust, so keep a coat of grease on it. A SS gear sleeve and 5+1 drag stack would beef up the reel, but remember that you'll still end of with a very, very slow 2.5:1 gear ratio. If you are't fishing deep that might be OK, but I, personally, would't want to have to fish it.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mryanh

Thanks akfish...considering the fact that I'm pretty used to the Senator speeds, the gear ratio doesn't bother me that much. I was really just looking for an extra reel to bring along in the boat and on the pier when my buddy visits to let him catch up to medium size sharks (typically we'll end up catching nothing but ginormous rays). Like I said...I paid very little for this reel, so to find a ss main gear, and might I add that it looks brand new, I think I might just go ahead and beef this baby up.

Alto Mare

Go for it mryanh ;), it's a great feeling bringing those reels back to life. You might have a steel  main gears in that reel, ss gears came in later models. Penn introduced the first 67 over 80 years ago and I bet that someone is still using one of those early models today. About the gear ratio, I believe that spool diameter is more important that speed. Penn had it right, it's a shame that other reel manufacturers are not following along. Welcome aboard by the way, you will like it here.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

The drags, gears, and spool are the same as the Black 4/0 Senator.  The Senator may be somewhat stronger because of the outer chrome rings on the sideplates.  I would use either reel for the same purposes.

Welcome to the forum.
George   
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

i thought the steel gears were plain steel, which is why they rusted. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I have seen Newell and Accurate gears loaded with rust in the past :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

funny, because accurate and newell gears for sure were stainless steel.  i dunno......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mryanh

Ok....I'm about 99% sure the main gear and pinion gear are stainless. Considering the condition of the reel and the brass, there is no way this thing is just plain steel. As to where it came from and how it got there I guess will remain a mystery. When I find some batteries I'll try and post a pic.

mryanh

Ok...I was wrong...its definitely just regular old steel. But either way I'm happy with it given the condition. Thanks guys.

Norcal Pescador

The steel gear will be fine as long as you get any existing rust off and keep the gear 100% coated with grease. Doesn't have to be gooped on heavy, just enough to keep the water off.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Keta

Quote from: mryanh on February 10, 2012, 01:41:08 AM
I've read on here a couple of times that its really not worth investing money into

I have a 60 that I plan on tinkering around with before the ice thaws this spring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Harry

I dont mind the slow ratio on the longbeach series as long as im not casting into really snaggy bottoms.

I found my 68 longbeach was a great reel to start learning how to cast good distances, and gradually progressed  up to 6/0 and 9/0s.