AR pawl on Daiwa Ryoga v.2.0

Started by jedec, March 25, 2012, 11:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedec

Hi Guys,

New on this forum but reading through the pages I felt confident enough to service my Daiwa Ryoga. Everything went fine except when putting it back together I hear a constant clicking sound that wasn't there before. I think it's the AR-pawl that is making this noise, can anyone tell me in what position it should be in when assembling the reel? Youtube video added for clarity, i'm done fumbling with my iphone at 0:24:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9m0qm0-LI&context=C47e5071ADvjVQa1PpcFPdPLgSpxgKgcuPBZtx-uTlk57dtnClvEU=

Kind regards,

Richard

flyforfish21

The AR-pawl needs to slide onto the ratchet gear itself. And you also have it in backwards. Both "prongs" should be touching the gear itself. I don't have any pics of a pluton/ryoga open for reference. But i'll try and get something together when i get home from work later on. The clicking is coming from the "clutch trip gear" hitting the ar pawl, when it should be "sliding" through it, if that makes sense. Maybe someone can explain better...

Hopefully that helped a bit.

Geoff

Nessie Hunter

The thin metal should GRIP the gear, from both sides.   
This pulls the Pawl into the gear when turned backwards = stop...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

jedec

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply, I think / hope I know what you mean. One of the "prongs" is solid, the other one is hollow in between, a gear could "slide" through it. In my case the ends are bent toward each other. There's a picture of a Pluton on this board, I added the picture, in my case the outer ends of the brass coloured prong are bent and your saying they sould be straight so the gear could pass through it?

Krgds,

Richard

Jimmer

Not really familiar with this particlar reel, but it looks like you have the AR dog on a levelwind gear, not on the AR ratchet. This is usally under the big gear and has teeth pointed in one direction to engage the dog. The tabs need to be slipped over it and assembled together. Hope this might help.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Tile

This reel has the Ambassadeur style antireverse design. Post some pictures with the rest of the parts removed from the gearshaft. There should be 2 ratchets: one for the decoupler and another one is the antireverse one. The antireverse pawl has to be on the same plain with the antireverse ratchet.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Nessie Hunter

The Side plate will keep it all in line (act as a stop) once you have it in/on right...

First you have to take the ratchet gear off again, then the Pawl.  
(this is how I do it)  I find this works best...

Gently open the light metal Pawl Jaw side (if its open to far (bent) I gently bend it closed), slide it onto gear...  
Make sure it doesnt spread open, it wont hold the gear or work proper.  It must be semi tight on the gear...
Now as a Unit (3 hands will help lol) put the gear AND Pawl back on.  Again making sure it doesnt twist or ?? and Jaws dont get bent & loose on the gear....
The pinching is what causes it to work......
Pulls the Pawl in & out of Cog Gear (anti Reverse stop)....

Replace the Main Gear and drag stack etc etc ..   Check and make sure the JAWS did not come loose or fall off the gear..   Put the side plate on...   Side plate will stop the Pawl from moving far enough to come off..    Your Set!!!!!  

The Abu Style Pawl (JAW) should not make any noise when assembled correctly, its silent...

I find it next to impossible to do it with the Pawl on the stud, placing the cog gear in place spreads it open and it doens function then..   I have found that doing this as a 2 piece unit assembly is the only way to get it done correctly.......

If you turn the Gears even slightly as you work on finishing up, the Pawl Jaw will come off the gear... 
I can often slide the gear through the Pawl Jaw when this happens - carefully- pick & tweezers needed at times, rather then taking the gears all apart again....
I hope this makes sense, its even confusing me now!!!!!   LOL

You will see as you assemble it what I mean.....

Make sure Jaw is in right and pinching the Cog Gear before putting the side plate on, it does come off and gets stuck UNDER the Cog Gear......

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

jedec

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Before going to work I assembled it like I think you guys are explaining.

I made a picture:

I do hope it is possible to do it without removing the pawl from the stud, I hate the clip that holds the pawl.
These are basically the first steps i'm taking on servicing my own reels. I cleaned and greased / lubed alot of parts and also took out the wormgear and its shaft (really dirty, the line guide was jamming regularly). It took me a sunday to figure how to diassemble / assemble all the tiny parts. The reel feels pretty smooth again (except the pawl banging).

Krgds,

Richard

Nessie Hunter

Thats it.......

Now just be careful it doesnt come off as you assemble the rest of it, common problem...
All you have to do is turn the gear slightly and it comes off again..
Check it before you put the side plate on... 
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Jimmer

Looks like you got 'er - great job!
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jedec

Well the AR-pawl works like a charm but now i'm on to the next problem. I think the wormgear is damaged. The reason I took this reel apart is that the line guide frequently jammed when it was at it's most right position. I hoped this was caused by dirt and not by the (apparently common) wormguide failure that Nessie Hunter wrote about on this and other forums (he wrote about Plutons but Ryoga & Pluton are siblings).

The wormgear was seriously dirty and it stopped jamming on the right side after cleaning, problem is when the reel is fully assembled, there is resistance felt at certain points of the handle rotation. The resistance is always felt when the line guide is getting from the left corner and moving towards the right one. The resistance seems to be less when the spool is not inserted. When cleaning the wormgear I checked for damages and didn't see any, then again I could have overlooked it. Also when I adjust the spool tension knob, there is also more resistance (tension knob tight = heavy retrieve, knob loose = easy retrieve.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Krgds,

Richard