belleville washers in charter special

Started by benzeenees, March 28, 2012, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benzeenees

I'm still playing around with my shimano TR2000 - LD. All the bearings seem Ok but it's a bit rough. I may have gotten the belleville washers in the wrong order. Inside the spool, at the other end from the drag washer, there's a brass collar, the the bellevilles then a bearing. The schematic shows 2xpre-load washers B and 2xpre-load springs B. Plus a pre-load washer A. Unless I have lost something, this doesdn't match with what I've got (or for that matter with the photo in Alan's tutorial). Are the washers the thin brass items or the slightly cup-shaped items. And should there be 5 washers/springs? Help please.

redsetta

G'day benzeenees,
Here's how it should look, together:

And apart:

The two bellevilles sit against the pre-load body (ie the sleeve) and the three thin shims go outside.

Schematic here, if you don't have it already: http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/TR2000LD_v1_m56577569830498941.pdf
Hope that helps.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

redsetta

Whoops - I'm thinking of the TLD15, which is basically identical.
Ignore the outer shims.
Everything else should be the same, ie two thin shims #43 (one if you've upgraded the bellevilles) / two bellevilles #44 / one thicker bearing pre-load #72:

benzeenees

all there - whew! One of the shims was stuck to the pre-load body! Invisible to my failing eyesight. Time to put it all back together.

Thanks so much.

benzeenees

still feels very rough when in the strike position. Perhaps my original guess that the bearing in the right end plate is kaput. Water had entered at that end as the brass ring inside the end plate had corrosion on it. But the bearing looks OK and seems to turn freely. Perhaps time to give up and seek help at the local tackle shop. The owner services reels and is a very competent guy.

redsetta

It's defintely the right-side main bearing - given your description.
They're easy to replace, if you're inclined.
It's 7x17x5mm (S697-ZZMC3).
Good luck, Justin

benzeenees

just spoke to Shimano - it's in the mail. Thanks again.

alantani

glad everything worked out.  justin, thanks for giving him a hand......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

benzeenees

just installed the new bearing. Pressed plenty of blue Evinrude grease into it and the other 3 bearings. It's now smooth as a baby's bottom! Thanks Justin.