Need help with Team Daiwa Zillion 100PA

Started by njboarder, March 28, 2012, 05:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njboarder

Hi Guys.

My fishing buddy had a team daiwa zilliion batecasting reel that wasn't function properly. Handle did not turn, and it seemed like the level wind gear was damaged.
As suspected, when I took it apart, the plastic gear was missing a couple of teeth and the reel was full of salt and grime.
I cleaned everything, and ordered new clutch wheel (part #50) and lubed everything and put it together.
The handle was turning fine and whatnot, but I've ran into a new problem.
It seems like the spool is not properly engaging the pinion gear when slightest drag is applied.
If you look at the diagram, the pinion gear (#38) is supposed to be sitting on the pin (#94) and the groove on the pinion gear is supposed to catch the pin when engaged, but it's not working as it should.
I was wondering if the yoke was not returning the pinion gear and pushing it down properly, so I ordered a new yoke and springs, but they did not do anything. please check out a short clip of the problem.

I'm thinking maybe the spool shaft is not being pushed towards pinion gear sufficiently, so maybe replacing the spring (#101) might help somewhat.
But to be honest, I'm really stumped..
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

redsetta

G'day and welcome nj,
Is #61/62 the right way up?
If not, it could be binding against the right side plate.
Is #4 (bearing) in place?
If not, the spool shaft will be moving around - and the pinion with it - which will cause the pinion and main gear to bind intermittently.
Further in, is #50 bedded down correctly at the base of the handle shaft?
If not, the main gear might not be engaging with the pinion correctly.
Another option is to follow all the parts through on the spool shaft, ie #95, 11, 14 and 15.
Some pics of the internals might assist if none of the above helps.
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

njboarder

Thanks for your reply, redsetta.

I took the reel apart and put together at least four times while paying careful attention to the schematics. I mean, I practically memorized the whole thing.. :o
61/62: yes. it's installed correctly. The cup (?) with the spring washers are facing the handle..
4: Yes, it's in there, secured by 3.
95/11/14/15: They are all there, installed in correct order.

The problem is basically the pin (94) is popping out of the groove on pinion gear (38) when it's supposed to stay in there unless yoke raises the pinion gear.
I'm assuming that either pinion is moving, or the spool shaft is moving, causing 94 to pop out of the groove.
I'm going to try to check the yoke, spring, and spool spring (#101).
Meanwhile, any other opinions would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

try to fish

try looking at the back of the side plate.there should be a black sponge washer and the bearing should with on top of it.

alantani

no, that's a different look, sound and feel.  it's more like the pinion gear is slipping against the main gear.  there would be obvious damage to the gear teeth, though.......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

njboarder

Alan,
The pinion gear and main gear looks fine, it seems.
If the pinion gear was slipping against main gear, shouldn't the grinding noise finer? (don't know how to describe it better, but since there are many more teeth, it should be more like da-da-da-da-da-da..) But it's exactly twice per one rotation of the spool, which leads me to believe that the pin is not engaging the groove on the pinion gear.. This is becoming a bigger headache that I thought... :(

nagz

is part 36 up the right way? ive noticed that can cause issues.  in my limited experience i might add :)

njboarder

Quote from: nagz on April 10, 2012, 12:31:26 AM
is part 36 up the right way? ive noticed that can cause issues.  in my limited experience i might add :)

Yes. I'm pretty sure the yoke is installed correctly. Or else it won't lift up the pinion gear properly, i think.
Thanks for the idea though..

flyforfish21

What about #'s 88-90? Are all the spacers there behind the bearing? Have had that happen before. Guy took it apart and didn't put any of the spacers back in and it had to much left side lateral play (if that makes sense :D), so the spool wouldn't re-engage similar to the video.

Something else you can do is check with the spool out of the reel. See what happens when you press the thumb bar, and then crank the handle to engage the pinion again. It may not be going down far enough to catch the pin in the spool. Maybe check for part #15 and make sure it's sitting all the way down correctly.

Just throwing some more ideas out there ;)

Geoff

njboarder

Quote from: flyforfish21 on April 16, 2012, 08:22:02 PM
What about #'s 88-90? Are all the spacers there behind the bearing? Have had that happen before. Guy took it apart and didn't put any of the spacers back in and it had to much left side lateral play (if that makes sense :D), so the spool wouldn't re-engage similar to the video.

Something else you can do is check with the spool out of the reel. See what happens when you press the thumb bar, and then crank the handle to engage the pinion again. It may not be going down far enough to catch the pin in the spool. Maybe check for part #15 and make sure it's sitting all the way down correctly.

Just throwing some more ideas out there ;)

Geoff

Thanks for some great points. It totally makes sense that something missing from that section would cause too much shaft play.
To be honest, I didn't check whether 88-90 were present, since the side plate was pretty clean and so I left it alone for now.
I did, however, check from the other side to see if the spool could be pressed down with my thumb, but didn't notice any excess play. But I'm going to go check it out again as to make sure.
Thanks for yoru help.