need help with my torsa 30

Started by awie, March 29, 2012, 12:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awie

Hi
I bought the a 2nd hand torsa, problem is when the drag lever push back to free position the spool will still move when reel in.. it wont set back to free position.. what could be the problem here.. thanks

awie

reelgood

Maybe too much grease between the drag pressure plate and cooling shield, if your reel was serviced by someone prior to purchase?  Try when it is in free spool to move the spool to the left slightly with your hand away from the handle side to "unstick" it, then see if it spins.  Otherwise maybe there is still slight contact between pinion and shaft causing the spin in free, is it easy to stop the spin when it free with your other hand?  I have had many lever drag reel still spin slightly when turning the handle in free, I think it is because they do not fully disengage the pinion from the shaft inherent in the design, as opposed to reels like the Baja Special which have full disengagement. 

day0ne

Also make sure the drag isn't screwed down too tight. It depends on which drag cam you have in it. Some of them don't really have much freespool if the drag is set very high
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

welcome!!!!!  jim nomura is our torsa expert.  sounds like the pressure plate is corroded to the spool shaft.  shimano services these with some sort of special program.  check with them first, 877-577-0600.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

erikpowell

Bula All,

You know, I'm holding a Torsa30 with LRS cam right now that does the same as Awie's, and I'm stumped too... ???

Freespool is good until I engage the drag lever...spool pulls to the right for "Strike" as normal, but upon moving the lever back to "Free", the spool doesn't pop back to the left,
there is zero freespool and i have to push in either the spool itself or the preprogram dial back to the left so the spool 'POPS" back into freespool.... and it takes a FIRM push to pop it back. then freespool is good again

it's very similar to problems i've seen with TLD25's when the brass lever shaft body (cam) and preprogram dial get damaged & need replacing
I've lookied into reelgood's and dayOne's suggestions but to no avail...Alan's suggestion is next...call Shimano tomorrow ;D

Only thing that seems outta whack to me is the damaged pinion guard

And another thing..this o-ring on the spool doesn't fit very well, and does not appear in schematics.. what's it for? I'm probably gonna toss it since it doesn't seem to serve any purpose ???

Well, I have degreased, re-cleaned, and retried.. but no love... so it can't be chalked up to too much grease or grease suction. And I can't seem to recreate the pinion sticking or jamming to the pinion guard...
Any other ideas or input ??

Thanks
Erik

erikpowell

UPDATE

Well since Alan recommended a call to shimano for awie, that's exactly what I did. A switched on guy there named Isreel pinned it down for me.

The set nut in the sideplate looks like somebody took a pair of pliers to it... probably because they tried to pull the spool out from the left side and tried to loosen the nut thinking that would remove the spool...
The spool cannot be remove via the left side plate on these reels.

There were burrs on the nut and those burrs were catching the cam & not allowing it to release for freespool.

I tried to file the flat edges back down to maintain the shape of the nut, but it was too far gone.. it's rounded off at the top

Someone's previous entry into this reel has trashed the nut

The fix will be a new side plate and cam assembly (even though Isreel says the cams are more durable than the nut) I'm not taking any chances, i'll replace both.

New side plate = $115 USD
cam assy - not sure yet

Hope this helps some folks out!  Cheers, Erik

H.Bressler

Can you tell me how to remove the drive gear and pinion gear from my torsa 30.

alantani

welcome!  the entire right side plate has to come off.  because the spool is asymmetric, it won't work from the left side only.  here is the schematic.  we don't have a full tutorial on this one.  what's up with your reel?

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/shimanoweb/fish/sac-fish/en/techdocs/current-models--2-/TORSA/TS30
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)