Newell 200 & 400 series drags

Started by BMITCH, March 29, 2012, 01:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Dawn,

Are there any more metal washers available for the 400 series?? Are these the same as the 200 series. I'm also needing the carbontex # 21 washers. Also which washer do you suggest under the main gear on the 200 series? The 400 series? I'm trying to increase the drag stack on both of these reels, thus increasing the drag output. Any help would be great,

Thanks

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Dawn

Hi
The Newell 200, 300 and 400 series all use the same drags.  I have the metal drag washer set ($10.00), and also the Carbontex ($10.00)
The washer under the main gear is included in the Carbontex sets, which is #15

Dawn
Dawn

Norcal Pescador

Bob - Did you figure out if Dawn's metals and 0.5mm #21 washers will fit for a 1+5 stack?

Dawn - I used your metals and thin #21's with 505HS gears to make a 1+5 setup in my Penn 500. Sweet! :)

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

Rob,

I'm going to order them up and play with it to see if it will work. I have no less then 5 reels that all use these washers. So it will not be a loss if it doesn't work on the Newell's.

BMITCH

Dawn,

Can I order from you here or should I go to the web site?

Bryan Young

Bob, may be easier to call her if you are in the US.  Other option is to send her an email for quicker response.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BMITCH

Bryan, thanks for the heads up, I do have a few questions to ask Dawn. Is there a number to reach her? If you want to PM me the number that would be fine.

Thanks,

Bob

BMITCH

Dawn, is there a difference in thickness between the #21 & #15? I'm a little confused??? I'm looking for the max number of carbontex washers I can get into these reels to theoretically increase drag output? Any help would be fantastic.

Bob

Bryan Young

Hi Bob,

15                           21.6 (0.85)  X  10.6 (0.415)  X  0.76 (0.03)
21                           24.55 (0.965)  X  10.6 (0.415)  X  0.5 / 0.76 (0.020 / 0.03)

The 21 is available in 0.5 mm thick and 0.76 mm thick, where as 15 is only available in 0.76 mm thick.

Dawn can be reach through her website at SmoothDrag.com.  Here is the contact information to reach Dawn.

Smoooooth Drag
Southern California

Ph: (760) 949-0271
Fax: (760) 949-8941

Toll Free: (888) 206-4656

Email us at: info@smoothdrag.com
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dawn

Thanks Bryan for posting my info.

For the 5 stack conversion, don't know yet if it fits in a Newell:
I have the Penn 500 size drag washers (fits Newell 200, 300, 400's) in .030 or .020 thick
If you are looking at the list it's #21.
I've got some that run under at .017, .018, ask me specifically for those, maybe that will help just a bit to reduce the total height if
you are going to try the 5 stack.

The one under the gear is #15 and it's only in .030.

You will need the two extra metal washers for the 5 stack.
Dawn

Norcal Pescador

Bob -
Here are links to the carbon fiber drag washer dimensions for most Penns and Dawn's Carbontex:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1016.0

Rob

ps - now there are almost as many Robs and Bobs as there are Bryans and Brians. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dawn

A possible option for the washer under the gear, if it doesn't misalign anything, #14, just a hair smaller on the outside diameter, smaller inside diameter, can easily be opened with sandpaper or dremel.  I have that one in .020 or .025.   

Dawn
Dawn

BMITCH

Rob,  funny you should say that about the Rob/Bob name thing. People around me at home here in Jersey got a little confused as to what to call. My wife calls me Rob, my friends and business associates call me Bob. So now most of my friends just call me Rob-Bob. It just kinda stuck. I personally don't care what they call me, just as long as it's not late for dinner.lol!! Thanks for the help with the washer issues. I will give dawn a call on Monday to see what I need to get ordered up. I'll let you know how I make out. The best thing I should do is as you suggested. Do the leg work and take all the Newell's apart, measure the depth of the gear and then do the math to get a ball park idea of what is needed.thanks again!

Rob-Bob

BMITCH

Dawn, I'm going to give you a call on Monday,if that's ok with you? I'm not at home right now so don't have the reels in hand. I want to tear them down, measure the depth and then get a rough idea of the washers needed. I have 4 Newell's that need to be done. All different model's so there may be some difference in them.

Thanks

Bob

Dawn

Dawn