A Penn Senator 9/0 joins the double dogs family

Started by Alto Mare, March 30, 2012, 02:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

i wanted to know justins reason.besides i forgot. ???

alantani

don't feel bad.  i can't keep track either!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Justin, I found an older 112H and decided to give it a shot on the double dogs. I do have two brand new ones waiting on the back burner, my buddy Max Doubt sent them to me a while back for close to nothing. I see why you had to make that brass shroud, there isn't too much room there. Here is what I came up with:

Not as innovative as yours, but it's working nicely.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

redsetta

Great work Sal - I'd say that's 'innovation' to a tee!
Well done mate.
Cheers for the inspiration, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

So, I get home from work just now to see Sal has another double dog situation figured out... you are good, brotha!
Thanks
Dom

JasonF

Sal, is it imperative that the depth of material removed be uniform, or should I just shoot for close?  Just deep enough for the dog to engage?

When I worked as a luthier I used one of the dremel bases in the link below to cut pockets in guitar bracing, and I think that it may be perfect for this application.  It will create a smooth,uniform depthed place for the dog to sit.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Routing/Precision_Router_Bases/Precision_Router_Base.html

Alto Mare

As long as the dog moves freely you'll be ok, just try to keep the shaved  area smooth. Thanks for showing that link, someone should have told me about it a while back.... I'm all dome with the double dogs ;D.
Good luck with your progect, a 9/0 is much easier to work on than the smaller Senators.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jimmer

What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alto Mare

Lee, the 9/0 samples arrived today and are perfect, thank you!
Alan, the ss sleeves that you sent me work perfect on this particular reel, last week I told you that they were a little tight, but that was on another bridge plate :-\.
Guys, if you would like the ss dogs to engage at the same time on the 9/0, the easiest way is to use a 6/0 dog and a 9/0 dog, or you could grind 1/8" off one of the 9/0 dog. Here is a shot of the dogs engaging at the same time using a 6/0 and a 9/0.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Harry

Nice Sal , you must love taking out those gear sleave pins. I am afraid and cautious when i do it in case i enlarge to hole too much or lose/ damage  the pin .

Alto Mare

Harry, I never had a problem with them. Try one of these, it should make the job much easier. Sal

Irish Jigger

Thank's Sal,a picture is worth a thousand words.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 21, 2012, 01:02:06 AM
Lee, the 9/0 "samples"

Sal and Lee, does this mean we get them for free? ;)