Penn International 965 Question

Started by jignpro, March 30, 2012, 05:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jignpro

Hi guys im relatively new to this site so I apologize if things aren't done correctly on this forum but I just have a question or two. I recently cleaned/lubed my International 965 that is the older housing version with all the recommended lubes "Corrosion X" and Grease for me I like the Penn Grease but I know many are fond of the Yamaha Engine Grease.

Anyway I wanted to know what is the BEST way of putting on the the Retaining clip Penn Part #69B onto the little gold washer Penn Part #42R. I ordered many of these little rings (69B) from mysticparts.com and eventually after hours of not being able to manage getting the retaining clip or ring onto the washer (Part 42R) I just took off the washer and put the retaining clip onto the white shield Penn Part #43. The retaining clip seems fine and I even tightened it a little because they bend easily. I figured this out after trying with pliers and small screwdrivers to get this little ring on.

So bottomline
1) Will leaving Part #42R off affect the use of my reel or levelwind and is it better to put it back on the reel?
2) If anyone recommends putting this retaining clip with the use of the washer back on what is the absolute best way to do it because it is hard spending hours on a little clip.

Thanks everyone. And again I apologize if I did not get the terminology right but all the Part #'s are correct.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

you should be fine without the washer.  just make sure you do not have have too much play.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jignpro

Thank you alan. It seems that there is very little play with the levelwind. I kept that washer just in case there is a problem later on as well. And I did find on the tool page that a e-clip tool is made but it wont be able to use on my frame 965. Still a great little tool can't wait to get it.