500 Jigmaster Take Apart Thumbscrew

Started by Caranx, March 31, 2012, 11:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caranx

I have a couple broken ones on my reels.
Do you guys know how to fix/replace them?
I thought the ring was pressed into the side plate.

Alto Mare

I'm not sure if you're looking for the ring or thumbscrew. If you're looking for the thumbscrew kit. you could get it at scott's.
I believe it's around $5.50. Good luck!
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/129-200.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Caranx

Yeah, I saw the kit on their website so thats what got me thinking to fix it.
The end of the spring inside is partially sticking out therefore it doesn't work.
Does anybody know how to replace the screw with the kit?
I don't want to buy the kit if it's not fixable/replaceable.
I know I'll have to take the ring off the side plate, but how?

alantani

when you screw it together the first time, the brass collar seats properly and you're done.  it's very simple. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Also, if you happen to have the Jigmaster - S - model, you will need a "C" clip. Don't mess with the inner ring, they don't come out.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Caranx

Thanks for the info on how the kit works.
How do I remove the thumb screw assembly from the ring?

Alto Mare

If your brass bushing is still intact, all you need is a spring. Place the new spring in and it should set itself when you screw it in.
Here is the sping that you'll need:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/131-200.aspx
I just want to mention that I've used it without the spring in the past, it's not a big deal.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Caranx

Thanks, I'll try it.
Will let you know how it goes.
I've been getting by without it for a while but will try to fix it now.

Caranx

Okay, now I kinda get it. I thought that the side plate ring captured the whole assembly. I took my reels out and backed out the spring and thumbscrew.
I see it's just a hole going right through the side plate.
I got my jigmasters from fleabay so now I know not all the parts came with it.
The brass bushing (#130-200) and the Brass ring nut(#132-200) are both missing.
It was probably taken apart and never reassembled properly because that bushing should have been inside behind the spring. I can see the ring nut being lost forever but not that bushing.
Well anyway, pennparts does not carry the brass bushing, only the ring and spring.
I'll have to hunt for the bushing locally.
Thanks, I'm still learning a little bit about the simple Jigmaster.

By the way, both of these reels have the chrome plated inside parts.  Is that an indication of the not so sought after versions of the 500's?