CARB, BRAKE CLEANER & SIMPLE GREEN?

Started by LTM, April 01, 2012, 09:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

Guys,

What's the difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner (pros and cons)?  How do you dilute your Simple Green for cleaning things other than bearings?

Leo

alantani

for spool bearings, i always remove the shields, clean the bearing with carb cleaner (brake cleaner is fine), then compressed air, and then lube the bearings in tsi 301 and re-install them open.  it's quickest for me.  i don't have all day to mess around with these. 

for simple green, i just pour it in full strength.  if your ultrasonic cleaner is larger than a gallon, add water.  as it evaporates away, add more water,  keep it simple. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LTM

Thanx Alan,

I have both products (brake cleaner for gun barrel's) and just wondered if there was a significant difference between the two when used on bearings.

I tried a diluted mix (50/50) of Simple Green and it wasnt cuttin it.

Leo

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

Carb and brake cleaner are almost identical. They are getting closer as Calif mandates non Chloro compounds. It used to be that Brake cleaner had Perchlorate in it. Now they are mostly a blend of solvents with acetone. Brake cleaner has more acetone. both will damage paint and plastics. As Alan said get what ever is on super sale. Last batch for me was O'rielly Brake cleaner @ $1.99 a can (they changed the labeling so it has Spanish instructions on the new stuff - same formulation). Also throttle body cleaner works well.

Jim N.

LTM

Thanx Alan and JGB for the detalis, now I have options for reels and guns.

Leo

coastalobsession

I started using carb cleaner and have had way better results than simple green. Now simply green is still a great product but I think it's better for degreasing the plastic and metal parts that are not brass. Also another great product to use is b-12 chemtool.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Fishnmike

Obtained my first can of brake cleaner yesterday and used it last nite on the main and pinion gear.  Worked ok but took a lot of product and a lot of blasting to get all the grease out.  What worked really good on another reel was starting fluid.

Just make sure you wear glasses and keep your mouth closed. You will get a lot of spray back from either product, and it burns!

Bryan Young

Mike,

If the bearings have visible grease, I spray or will drop in a little container with WD40 while I work on the reel.  Then, when I'm ready to clean the bearings, I take them out.  if still has grease, shake up the bottle a bit then pull them out and blast with air and spin the bearing.  then flip the bearing and spin again.  then comes the carb cleaner and blow dry.  Usually does the trick.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D