5/27/09 - kayak mothership trip to point sur

Started by alantani, May 28, 2009, 06:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

meet your deckhand, sean!

with flat seas predicted, the plan was to mothership four kayaks from monterey to point sur, 25 miles away.

ok, two to starboard.

two to port.

lots of gear. the weight limitation to my boat was of concern, so i ended up running with 300 pounds less fuel than i normally would to make up for the extra weight of the kayaks.  

ready to roll, pending inspection and approval by allen.

well, almost.  needs a little more adjusting.

ok, now we're ready!

left to right, we have phil #1, phil #2 and tall paul.  looks like someone is excited!  

ok, this is not good.  we have a northwest swell, a southerly wind and a southerly wind wave.  

phil #1 is getting queezy.  he will continue to barf all day, but will never give up.  i vaguely recall a saying about "mad dogs and englishmen."

things were rough around the point lobos, but calmed down considerably above point sur.  time to launch the boats.

phil #2 was first in the water.

phil #1 followed.

um, guys!  guys!  hey, guys!!!!!  we've gotta get fishing here!!!!!

now for tall paul.

and finally, scallen!

ok, sean and i have fish to catch.  second cast, sean sticks this ling cod.  sean will continue to kick my #### throughout the day!  shades of fishing with jerry stellman!

then we heard the big news!  scallen stuck a hog of a halibut.  42 inches and 31 pounds!!!!!  cold, wet and exhausted, the old man was done for the day!

phil #1 only kept three fish, but what a set!

tall paul's take was impressive!

everything stowed and on the road.

a building northwest swell, south winds and a windwave from the south.  a much easier run home than in the morning.

here's the catch for sean and me.  

we fished near the kelp above point sur.  here was our weapon of choice.  we tipped these with whole squid!  what a day!!!!!!!!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!