men's versus women's shoes, ak 47 versus m4

Started by alantani, April 02, 2012, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: total mayhemhello allen. i hope you dont mind this pm. i just found too many people chime in and are clueless.im in the process of changing out some reels and would like your opinion. i already have the rods from bryan connely. im looking for 4 of each spinning and conventional to replace the ones i sold which were old and miss matched. looking for 30-40lb line  class reels and dont need huge capacity. will be used for bass and blues here off long island. im using charter specials on my lighter tackle and am very happy and have tiagras and penn internationals for the heavy stuff. i like the level wind as its easier on the kids and would like your opinion on the shimano tekota vs the avet which of coarse is non level wind.as far as the spinners anything you could recommend would be appreciated. i was looking at the battle but some of the corrosion issues has me worried. i would like to stay at 250 or less for the reels and am going to do a package deal for 9 reels. i need a purple avet sx to match the wifes new rod. you are well respected here and i value your opinion  thanks john grant

hi, john!  not a problem. 

ok, for the spinners, the answer is not going to be what you think.  daiwa makes a spinning reel called a sweepfire.  it sells for $15-20.  i would put carbon fiber drag washers in it, spool it up with line and go fish.  when it seizes up on you, throw it away.  if you want it to last longer, crack it open and pack the bearings with grease. also add a light coat of grease or corrosion x to all the internal metal surfaces.  the reel may surprise you. 

any other spinner that you choose will provide excellent service as long as you switch out the drags for greased carbon fiber and pack the bearings with grease.   the problem is lack of long term parts availability for spinners.  think of women's shoes. a couple of years at most, and the companies want you to move on to something else.

for conventional, you have alot of choices that are all pretty good.  my first recommendation is almost always the shimano tld star 15/30.  you will need to make some modifications, but this reel will last a life time if treated properly.

the same longevity that you get from spinners you will also see from conventionals if you treat them well.  at least here, though, your efforts at maintenance will be appreciated and rewarded.  companies will support conventional reels for a much longer time.  think men's shoes.  it's worth investing money into a good quality reel, but only if you are going to put the effort into maintaining it.  i don't know if you were ever in the service, but you would have learned to field strip an m4 with your eyes closed.   whatever reel you choose, you should be able to do the same.  the tekota is fine.  so is the avet.  for simplicity and low maintenance, the shimano tld star is more like an ak 47.  the accurate is more like an m4.  the tekota and avet are inbetween. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

Most spinners today are not worth the expense in the long run due to the weak materials (aluminium alloys, antimonium) used for their maingears. There are some of them that have the right materials for the maingear (brass, stainless steel) and are worth the expense. The multiplier ones have the right materials for the geartrains (brass, bronze, stainless steel).
An adequate usage maintenance and service regime is the basis for long term durability. In fact all mechanical devices (reels, weapons, cars, boats, planes and so on) do need correct usage, maintenance and service to run properly for a long time.
In solid fiberglass we trust