Penn Stainless Steel Anti Reverse Dogs

Started by Keta, April 02, 2012, 09:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel.B

I have some beers I can throw at this venture- who uses beer-pal?  ;D

I imagine a guy could fashion a crude mock-up sleeve himself out of aluminum- just to try to get the dimensions right.  I have access to a mill and lathe which belongs to a friend who also likes beer. Unlike me he is smart, educated mech-engineer with gainful employment . Lemme see what I can do.  I just butchered a deer for him too- so he owes us....

Would there be any benefit to a larger diameter of base of sleeve and using smaller dogs?  Could you use this larger surface area to increase drag pressure?

I was looking at it- thinking about a larger diameter base with more teeth and short dogs, less travel for the dogs, shorter distance between teeth to reduce back-play, while dogs engage at same time to shoot lazers at the seals..............wait, that was different idea

alantani

a larger ratchet base would mean less pressure on the dog and a larger surface area that is in contact with the drag washer under the main gear.  it would also mean that the gear sleeve would have to be cut from a larger diameter piece of stainless steel, increasing the costs. 

but it would work........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I like the idea of continuing the flats down the side of the sleeve and building a seperate ratchet. THis would allow you to experiment with teeth number and size on the same sleeve. I'm thinking 50% more teeth and double dogs would be adequate.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

that would probably work as well.  uggh, another project!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Joel.B

I have 113h rotating assembly-guts sitting here assembled, put two dogs on it to check tolerances and such.  There is definitely room in there for larger diameter base.

Are there any reels that have similar sleeve with larger base? More teeth?

FYI, the sweet sound of two stainless dogs working in unison on a stainless sleeve- ..........is pretty satisfying.

redsetta

Quote...the sweet sound of two stainless dogs working in unison on a stainless sleeve- ..........is pretty satisfying.
x2 - you should hear the double dog/12-tooth ratchet 9500SS combo - it really sings ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

dsherk

I just received my 113h and 114h SS anti reverse Dogs. I'd just like to say I am impressed with the quality and fit and finish. Thanks Lee. Dave

floating doc

I want to do my 112H. Are there stainless dogs for those?
Central Florida

sundaytrucka

I have picked up three SS dogs from Lee, or should I say Keta's Kustom, for my 113H (double-dog'd), and very satisfied with the quality and direct replacement fitment as compared to Penn OEM dogs.

SS dogs give you that much more confidence in your reel, that it will get the job done against some big fish...When you truly want to have no doubts about your anti-reverse, upgrade to Sal's double-dog setup (grinding the dog(s), accordingly, allows an alternating dog engagement, or simultaneous "true" double-dog engagement), just don't forget to order 2 (two) SS dogs from Lee.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Caranx

Quote from: floating doc on July 17, 2013, 04:00:17 AM
I want to do my 112H. Are there stainless dogs for those?

Keta,
Do you make and sell any of these yet?
I'm interested too
Thanks

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

floating doc

Central Florida

Caranx

Sky King Joe

Hello Lee,
First let me Thank you and everyone here for all the fantastic knowledge you are willing to share with a newbie like myself. Sure does make these "projects" move along smoother and much quicker.

If possible could you tell me how to go about ordering Sixteen (16) 113H Stainless Steel Dogs to install.
also where to send the Cash, Money order, Check or Paypal or whichever payment method is most convenient for you.
I can't wait to show my fishing buddies that you don't need to spend $800.00 on a reel to catch fish. LOL
Thank you all again for sharing the wealth of knowledge available here.
Best Regards,
Joe Martin
PS If possible also would like 6 of those fantastic Keta Kranks for Penn 113H
Unpolished is Okay with me
photo is one in the works

Keta

I have 15 113H dogs in stock right now, it takes anywhere from 1 day to a month to get more cut.  On the handle arms I'm way back ordered and it could be 4 months before I have them.  Unpolished is easier but I'm trying to take care of orders that are a month or more behind first.
Check your PM's for my information.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain