pro gear prices

Started by basto, April 02, 2012, 11:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Everyone
I am interested in getting a Pro Gear reel and am wondering if someone can give me an approximate guide to what these reels sell for.

The models I am interested in are 541 classic,  454 classic  and 540 Albacore special. I am only interested in reels in very good condition.
Thanks, Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bryan Young

The 541s and 454 are selling between $75-$150.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

basto

Thanks Bryan, wow, I thought they would be much more, they seem to be so highly regarded.
How about a 280 Albacore special?

redsetta

G'day Basto,
I bought a basically brand new, mint-condition 282 Albacore Special last year, newly spooled with 30# mono, for US$250.
I reckon it was a fair price for a cracker little reel.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

basto

That`s great news. Now I just have to do a bit more homework to decide which model would suit my needs the best.
I really like 3/0 size narrows. Thanks guys!

Bryan Young

Well, if you are talking about 545 (2/0 size with 4/0 drags), one just sold on eBay for $265.  Just too expensive for my pocket.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Hello Basto,

I have owned most, if not all, of the older progear model reels at one time and it is still my favorite reel.  My favorites of the group are the PG 545 and PG 255.  I fish 15 to 30# line on the PG 255 and 25 to 50# line on the PG 545. Depending on condition prices will range from $125 to over $200.  I like fishing a single speed reel for YFT up to 80# and the PG 545 works well for me. I have seen several dozens of YFT between 50 and 98# caught on the PG 545.   Another couple of reels I would consider would be the PG 280 and 540.  Both very nice reels.

basto

Hi John
Thanks very much for your reply. I have some nice lever drag reels, but I am a star drag lover at heart.From what I have read on this and other sites, the Pro Gears are highly esteemed.
I have a Penn Torque 200 star drag reel and a Shimano Triton  mark 1, both star drags, that have a similar strength as the Pro Gears.
The 545 is looking very attractive.

Brendan

Bryan, the last time I bid on Pro Gear reels on Ebay, I lost on a brand new CS 551. This time I won on both 545's. I could have lived with the high price if I only won one of them. I'll be OK, one is a gift for a friend and the other will be a gift for me.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Bryan Young

Oh, so you are the one that got that gold and silver 545...hmm, wanna trade for that silver 545?  I'm gonna be out the look out for you N***9.  lol

Bryan Young

Quote from: john2244 on April 03, 2012, 06:08:29 AM
Hello Basto,

I have owned most, if not all, of the older progear model reels at one time and it is still my favorite reel.  My favorites of the group are the PG 545 and PG 255.  I fish 15 to 30# line on the PG 255 and 25 to 50# line on the PG 545. Depending on condition prices will range from $125 to over $200.  I like fishing a single speed reel for YFT up to 80# and the PG 545 works well for me. I have seen several dozens of YFT between 50 and 98# caught on the PG 545.   Another couple of reels I would consider would be the PG 280 and 540.  Both very nice reels.
The PG255 and PG545 are the two reels that I'm looking for with little luck.

Brendan

Don't worry Bryan, I will be on the sidelines for a long time after this one. I always have my eyes out so if anything comes up on ebay or the used cabinet at my local shop I will let you know. Brendan.