Penn Int 30 drags

Started by jackcaptjr, April 03, 2012, 11:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackcaptjr

Hello All. Just joined the board and my first post..... please indulge.

I have several old (version I) 20's and 30's. The reels are in excellent condition with many many billfish brought to the boat. My question is about replacing worn drags........ what to use? I can not find the old doghnut washers and am totally confused about upgrades. Smoooth Drag has some old inventory that she sells but it is not on their current price list. It seems to fit the drive plate and work but???????

These reels are loaded with 30-40 mono so are not subject to more then 7-10 lbs strike drag.

Any comments and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JR

Norcal Pescador

Hello JR and welcome to the forum. I can understand your confusion. I have a 50V that I had to replace the asbestos donut on. The replacements are in the 117DN series and I think this is what you're going to need.  Here's a link to Pennparts' web site. It should work on your 20 series as well with much better performance and should last a long time (it's pricey :-\).

If you have questions about the update, they're good folks, so call them.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117DN-30.aspx

Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

the new dura drags from penn will fit.  i would still grease them with cal's grease!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jackcaptjr

Guys, thanks for the input........ and you are right the new Penn 117DN series will work....... BUT they sure are pricey....... over 50 bucks a piece and I have 7 reels to do. I think for my application I will stick with Dawn's solution. She will sell them at a good price but with no guaranty. As I indicated, my drag requirements with 40 lb mono are pretty light. The old style has lasted over 30 years and still have service life in them. We'll see how the Smoooth Drags hold up. They install just fine and feel great. Recomendations were to install them dry just like the old donut. I did lap the plate to insure a nice clean flat surface. We'll see????? We head for San Carlos in May for the summer/fall season.

Thanks again and sure do appreciate the tech info Alan.

JR