Susquehanna flats

Started by Alto Mare, April 05, 2012, 11:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I went down to get the boat ready and surpricingly, my son Anthony wanted to come along. We decided to go down to the flats, I was expecting to see a lot of boats lined up, but there was just another...not a good sign. We only fished for about an hour, but Anthony still had a great time

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Looks like fun, we had more snow.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Dominick

Hey Sal:  Your wife must be beautiful for you to have such a handsome kid.  :)  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Nice.  Must feel good to get out, and with your son.  That looks like catching to me.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

alto mare
can you post a photo of your boat pls
cheers

Alto Mare

I told Anthony that we should post his catch here and he thought it a great idea. Thanks guys!

Dominick, when I see you, I'm going to bite your ears off ;D.

Wallace, the boat is not a big deal, but I really like it. It's a Polar 19 CC with a 2 strke 135hp, simple and dependable just like my Penn reels ;)
If I find a shot of the full boat I will show it to you. I think that boat has two dozen rod holders ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
     Glad to see you got out with Anthony and his long hair ;)
Is that a Penn eliminator rod... looks like mine?  Also, your rig looks pretty close to my weakfish rig except I use a bit less hardware cause they can see well.
I have over 80 hours of detailing and prep work in my baby so far this season.  I have spent 3 days a week averaging about 9 hours a day of actual work not coffee breaking :o  for the past 3 weeks.  I know it's crazy, but the more time I put in now = less time I will be doing it when my stripers come for a visit.
Healthy looking baby striper... good to see!
I have reports in my vicinity of fish up to 18lbs so far with nothing over 30lbs at all... the big mommas should be showing up between 4/15 and 5/1, according to recent years of my logs.
Hope you have a great season, and look forward to getting you and Anthony on "Broadway".
PS- Be careful not to bite off more than you can chew when it comes to Dominick's ears  ;D
All the best,
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, the owner of the marina told me that a 38lb striper was caught two days earlier at that same spot. When targeting that kind of fish you'll need a nice hook, I lost stripers in the past on cheap hooks and try not to let that happen again. The rod is a shakespeare Ugly Stick medium action, I really like these rods and are not that costly, they're sensitive and well balanced, even with a 750ss.
Lots of males have been spotted there, they're speculating that the cows will be showing up in a week or so. I will try to be there to greet them ;).
You know, we should go in the bloodworm business, I think that I paid $2 a piece :-\.
Get out there Dom, it's nice to have a clean boat, but a clean boat doesn't catch any fish.
Later bud. Sal

Bryan Young

I bet that Anthony outfishes you at lease 2:1.  He looks like a guy that catches fish...on his pops' well cared for gear. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Sal/Dom:  My fishing buddy Joe who lives in Bradley Beach, NJ has caught 9 keeper stripers from the beach and the jetty since Sunday.  All Dom is doing is strutting up and down the dock, stopping strangers, "hey look at my clean boat."  ;D  At least Sal is out there trying.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Hey, lighten up on Dom. He's got to have a good looking boat so he can get some "well-qualified" deckhands. Right, Dom? ;) ;)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Great post Sal - thanks for sharing.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Good to hear the gals will be joining us soon  ;)
The only reason I put the time in now is so that during the season I can fish a lot and clean a little instead of vice versa.  You know what it's like to have bunker or bluefish blood all over the deck and sides of the boat from hauling 'em in  >:(  When that summer sun bakes everything on around here it's very difficult to remove, so I try to avoid it.
If nothing else, you'll appreciate it when you come up to fish with me... trust me!
Like Rob said, I need well qualified mates, and they really don't like to clean... esp. when they're family for some reason  ;)
All the best,
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: broadway on April 08, 2012, 12:01:05 AM
Good to hear the gals will be joining us soon  ;)
The only reason I put the time in now is so that during the season I can fish a lot and clean a little instead of vice versa.  You know what it's like to have bunker or bluefish blood all over the deck and sides of the boat from hauling 'em in  >:(  When that summer sun bakes everything on around here it's very difficult to remove, so I try to avoid it.
If nothing else, you'll appreciate it when you come up to fish with me... trust me!
Like Rob said, I need well qualified mates, and they really don't like to clean... esp. when they're family for some reason  ;)
All the best,
Dom
Dom:  Have you ever used Bon Ami and/or Bar Keeper's Friend to take out rust?  Works great.  Dominick