cedros star drag

Started by Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B, April 06, 2012, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i am thinking of buying this reel for freshwater fishing targeting 20#-120# fish. the price caught my attention. i think it's a better deal compared to a trinidad A. what do you think guys? thanks, tight lines.

Westii

I did the same comparison and ended up buying the Cedros.  The Trinidad A, in my opinion, is priced waaay too high.

kallitype

Vashon Island kayak angler

Westii

Sorry for the late response.  I haven't been able to use it yet, but my initial impressions are very favorable.  It seems to be built very solidly and have great workmanship.

Westii

I need a new rod for mine too.  I'm gonna take a closer look at the cedros jigging rods.  I haven't seen one in person yet, but have heard some good reviews and the price is right.

kallitype

They are great rods, underpriced.  Great wraps and beautiful finish.
Vashon Island kayak angler

Normslanding

I own both a 10, and 12 size. The 10 has one trip to Puerto Vallarta on it. We caught lots of fish in the 15 to 70 lb. range. Drag is smooth, with no fade. The reel casts very well. That's why I bought a 12. The reel had Cal's on the drag, and TSI301 in the bearings. I do think a lot of the Cedros, Makaira, and Trio's from Okuma.

Westii

Just wanted to post a follow up after using the reel.  I love it!  It is so smooth and strong and the ratchet system on the star drag makes it so easy to adjust the drag in small increments.  I paired it with an Okuma Nomad rod (which I also love).  The only problem with the Nomad is a wide Alps reel seat that is slightly too wide for the Cedros 10.  I had to force the reel onto the seat which caused some scratches on the seat.  For those who like a color matched rod and reel combo, these are perfect together.

I was catching large red snapper and smaller grouper, which are really no challenge at all for the Cedros and Nomad.  I'm planning another trip soon that will hopefully involve some large amberjack and possibly some 50-75 pound YFT.  Those should give the Cedros and Nomad a real workout.  I'll post again after I'm able to really test out this combo.

Rick

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hey rick! thanks for the update. also i am glad it worked out...