B-B-Q Lighter Fluid

Started by franky, April 06, 2012, 05:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Usually, I use the yellow plastic bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid to clean out my bearings.  Has anyone used the charcoal lighter fluid that they use to start up the Hibachi charcoal stove?  Is it okay, or does it leave some sort of undesireable residue?

Nessie Hunter

Yes....  Even the lighter fluid leaves a residue.....

Use the Carb Cleaner or Brake cleaner in the Pressure cans..  No Residue....
A can or so of compressed Air for Computers works if you dont have a compressor to blow them out and dry them...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

flyforfish21

Use any cleaner/lighter fluid. I just finish by running them through Isopropyl alcohol which takes any remaining residue off.

Geoff

Bryan Young

Agree with Jeoff if using lighter fluid.  try to get 90% or higher.  Less have way too much water IMO.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Charcoal lighter fluid is basically de-scented or unscented kerosene. I suppose it could be used if you've got really, really thick old grease that is more like tar that needs to be removed. After that I would use carb or brake cleaner.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

franky

coastalobsession

If you dont want to use the spray can of carb cleaner then try B-12 Chemtool.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani

please do not.  the flash potential for lighter fluid is too high. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!