Omoto revolving spool reel mounted under rod...still available?

Started by Brannok812, April 06, 2012, 06:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brannok812

I am searching for a particular style of reel.  In the past, I have seen Pelagic sell an Omoto reel (KB300?) that was a revolving spool reel intended to be mounted underneath the reel as a spinning reel is.  The free spool was activated by a trigger lever instead of by a push button or thumb bar.  I am interested in this style of reel for jigging.  My first impression is that this style COULD incorporate the advantages of a revolving spool reel with regards to weight and line management, but have better balance than overhead mounted reels.  There may be other manufacturers, but I have only seen this style from Omoto in some eBay auctions a few years ago.  I do not find anything on Omoto's current web site.  If anyone has used this style reel, I would like to get feedback on the performance.

UK Ron

I think the German manufacturer Cormoran may have what you are looking for.

wallacewt

hi brannock812,
if you dont find that reel another
option is to use a spiral rod with the o/h
that you have
i use andros+spiral,perfect
cheers

Brannok812

Thanks for the replies.  I am late in responding because I do not apparently have my account set up to send an email notification when a reply is added to the thread. 

Interesting stuff at Cormoran.

Roberts/spiral/acid wrapped rods: any torque noticed while under a heavy load (i.e. BIG fish!)?  The line through the blank rods seem to have come and gone rather quickly.

Thanks again for the responses.  ;D

Bryan Young

Interline rods are still available and I personally like them, but are mainly available in Asia.  I tried to buy a boat rod in Japan and the guy at the store kept talking me out of the rod (for some reason), so I came home empty handed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger

wallacewt

thanks for this link irish.
so much to learn and enjoy
cheers mate

redsetta

Great link Tom - cheers for that.
Gotta love a bit of NZ kingie action! ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Brannok812

Thanks for the links to the reel and the jigging vid.  Very cool stuff.  That is the style I am interested in.  The Omoto reel was not as sophisticated as the one from JM.

INOXicated

I bought one of those as I like collecting different stuff. The trigger is a brake. I backlashes easy and is a pain to get out. Only fished it once.
Senior Account Rep. Amazing Products LLC.
www.Apdistribution.com
www.grip-n-hook.com

Brannok812

Intoxicated, thanks for the reply.  I was guessing that the trigger was supposed to be a brake.  Apparently, based on your description, it was not done very well.  My expectation was that the brake would be a substitute for thumbing the spool to control the line.  My original intent for the reel would have been to use as a jigging reel and perhaps (on a different rod) as a bait flinger.  I have not seen one for sale for a couple years now.  Seems like a good idea that perhaps was not well produced.  After watching the video above, I am still interested in the concept.  Like the Alvey reels, it is another way to approach a design solution.

Tile

This style of reel is well suited for for fishing styles that don't require casting. You can use a levelwind conventional reel with a rod designed for spinners like I do. I cast with the reel in the overhead position and retrieve with the reel in the under rod position.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Bryan Young

Hmm, I wonder if I get a left handed abu with the level wind guide, I could do this?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D