Penn 320gt2 Spool

Started by bll1833, April 06, 2012, 08:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bll1833

Hi guys, I'm new and this is my first post here. I have a 320gt2 that I use for snagging and I love it. The problem is last year I had the pinion gear seize to the spool shaft so I replaced both of them, the reel was only a year old. It worked fine afterwards and then last weekend the same thing happened again. When I removed the pinion gear it left a slight grove in the shaft and I was wondering what may of caused this? Am I putting it under to much stress, the biggest fish usually only run around 50lbs but sometimes I'll catch 20 or so over 30lbs in a day. I was wondering If i could smooth out the spool shaft and it still be reliable for fishing or if there was a different brand spool I could use that would be a bit cheaper than the penn. Anyone know if it may be possible to just change the shaft out on this spool?

alantani

it's common because of the combination of stainless steels that they use.  just clean them up and add a coat of grease.  not much else you do. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tile

The GTO series is also prone to this problem because the spool shaft is made from steel (not stainless).
In solid fiberglass we trust

bll1833

ok thanks, I'm going to try that. Just wasnt sure if something else may have been contributing to the problem.