Daiwa SLD30 handle upgrade?

Started by ElFred, April 07, 2012, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElFred

I'd like to put a Kolekar 6/0 handle on my Daiwa SLD30 II. It looks like a bear to drill the stock handle off. Does anyone know if I can get the handle off in any other manner? Thanks in advance

Bryan Young

Sorry, drilling if the way.  I will often grind down the back side first, use a punch to center the drill bit before drilling.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

i worked on one of those for nearly a month. it left me so emotionally scarred that i can't even bear to look at one.   :'(

it's best for the handle to come off first, but i can't remember how.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ElFred

Thanks for the tips. Alan, some things are best forgotten after all. It's not my first choice of reels to troll in Baja but it's the reel I have, and it works very well. I may do the handle swap and I may leave it alone. From my experience with Kolekar's, I know that it would be an improvement. I'm thinking of leaving the reel with my favorite Panguero on my next trip and would like to make it nicer than stock for him.

ElFred

Reviving an old question. I just returned from Baja and had a blast using my SLD30 2 speed dragging large dog toothed pargo off the rocks with the aid of 150 hp yamaha power. The reel worked great but the handle seems way too small.  I'd still like to install an 6/0 Kolekar handle. I plan on grinding and drilling the stock one off. Before starting, my new question is whether or not the mounting hole on the handle blade will be a too large for the Kolekar and thus require shimming or whether the new grip will install as is? It gives the appearance  that the stock mounting bolt may be of larger diameter. Any experience or educated guesses? Thanks

alantani

if you can drill out the old grip, you can use the 6/0 grip with the counterbored connection.  i have one 6/0 grip left and that's it.  then i'm back ordered.

you need to use a 5/16ths inch drill bit to drill the hole for the counterbore. 

ElFred

Alan, Is the counter bore handle the same as what you hooked me up for on my Newells? If so, I have a counter bored 4/0 handle that will work. I also have 3 regular 6/0 grips. I could use the counter bore stem from a Newell and swap the grips themselves no? Or better yet, can I send you the Daiwa handle and have you install your last 6/0 counter bore grip for me? I'm a little more than skeptical about my ability do do the stock grip-ectomy and install cleanly. Thanks

alantani

yes, i am just now catching up again.  my address is 12362 ted court, saratoga, ca 95070.  alan

Brendan

Alan, I have two 6/0 grips that I bought from you that have never been used. If you would like to trade for a couple of 4/0 grips let me know. Tight lines, Brendan.

alantani

no problem.  let me know where to ship them.  alan