penn 113H with Accurate sideplates and frame

Started by franky, April 08, 2012, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Thanks pal.  Watch for snail mail. 

dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

franky

I was thinking about epoxying it.  However, the shaft is sooooo tight going into the spool, that I would imagine that all of the epoxy would wipe off as the shaft is going in.

Another option is to sell the sideplates and and frame and be done with it...gotta ask my friend, its his reel.  :-\

I agree, under tremendous pressure, I'd imagine that failure is on the horizon.  Just to think though, the accurate spool simply failed.  There was no key or eared thingy to keep the spool from free wheeling on the shaft....what a design flaw!  Knowing this, just imagine how many other accurate spools are out there?  And how many other fisherman know about this problem?  ???

At least my other tiburon spools have a tack weld right at the base where the spool shaft sticks out from the spool.

Keta

Quote from: franky on April 09, 2012, 07:18:17 AM

At least my other tiburon spools have a tack weld right at the base where the spool shaft sticks out from the spool.
I'm confused, SS and aluminum can't be welded together.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tile

Put the spool and shaft assembly under a pillar drill and cross drill the spool and spool shaft together. After this operation you can take the tail end of a drilling bit, cut and finish it to size and secure the entire asembly with epoxy or blue loctite. Apply loctite to the spool shaft and the crosspin. The crosspin will eliminate the possibility of failure at high drag settings.
In solid fiberglass we trust

franky

Quote from: Keta on April 09, 2012, 01:11:44 PM

Oh, youre right keta,

I just looked again and it was a tack weld on the star wheel to the stainless shaft.  Hmmm.  :-\ I hope that doesn't mean that the tiburons are built the same as the accurates.

Makule

How much would you sell it for?  I might be interested even with the "impaired" spool.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

franky

Not sure, its my friends reel.  If he sells, he probably will want to keep the sale on Oahu only.

Makule

Quote from: franky on April 09, 2012, 10:32:46 PM
Not sure, its my friends reel.  If he sells, he probably will want to keep the sale on Oahu only.

That might work as someone can pick it up and ship to me on the Big Island.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Taily

Quote from: Keta on April 09, 2012, 01:11:44 PM

They can be friction welded, not welded in the traditional sense - the shaft can be spun in at high rpm.
Nunc est bibendum....

Keta

Explosion welding would work too but my wife does not let me play with explosives any more after we knocked a friends house off it's foundation removing a rock in his basement, and all I did was watch and laugh.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Quote from: Keta on April 11, 2012, 01:46:16 PM
Explosion welding would work too but my wife does not let me play with explosives any more after we knocked a friends house off it's foundation removing a rock in his basement, and all I did was watch and laugh.
Hey Lee:  I would be first on a list to buy your autobiography.  It sounds like you have led and are still leading an exciting life.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

He was a crazy Alaskan, I told him to drill holes and fill them with water to let winter bust up the rock.  He had some Toxex and was in a hurry.  The house rose about 3" and shifted about 2".  Most of the rock was still there.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

If you would have taken a video and send it to "America's Funniest Home Videos", you would have been able to retire by now.
The house lifted 3" and the rock was still there, now that's funny ;D ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.