penn 113H with Accurate sideplates and frame

Started by franky, April 08, 2012, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franky

Hello,

I just got through disassembling and reassembling my friend's penn with accurate sideplate and frame reel for the past 10 times.  All the parts are assembled the right way ( I think) and for some  reason, the drags system is totally shot.

I seen the 3 stack drag and coverted it to a new 5 stack system.  Still, absolutely no drag pressure.  Tighten down the star to its fullest and I still can pull the line out with just two fingers.

frustrating and confusing....I'm about ready to give up....Help!

Alto Mare

My first thought would be that you forgot to place the tension spring at the top of your stack.

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-970.aspx
This one goes on top of your stack and in the inside of the plate, you will also need another tension spring that goes under the star.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 08, 2012, 12:42:58 AM
My first thought would be that you forgot to place the tension spring at the top of your stack.

Or you need a longer spacing sleeve.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Bryan Young

Try is one of the eared washers sliping out of the gear and resting on top?  If so, try adding some extra drag grease so they all stick together when assembling.  Then possibly one of the above.  if sleeve is too short, it's possible that you could add an extra drag or belleville washer to the top of the stack if you have the clearance.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Taily

Have you got (at least) two eared metal washers in the drag pack and if so have you set it up with friction/round outer edge/friction/eared/friction/round/friction/eared/friction/round/cupped tension/sleeve?

Failing that are the ears bent back and/or damaged in any way?

Regards,

Dave.
Nunc est bibendum....

Alto Mare

Easy guys, I didn't want to bombard him with all possibilities. One at a time ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

franky

Okay okay....

Thanks everyone for all your recommendations.  Is a new day!  :) I got it!!!

Yes, I checked the top tension spring at the top of the drag stack and I checked if one of the eared washers were sitting outside of the stack.  

Then it dawned on me on what Alan once told me....try disassemble the side plate and put everything together without the side plate.  Bingo.  I first tightened the star and looked for a hairline crack on the top tension spring washer...nope, all good.  Then I grabbed the main gear with a rag and held it as I turned the handle with the star backed off.  The handle turned.  Then I tightened the star and held the main gear again...it was very tight which means the drag works.  Hmmm... :-\  The drag works.

Okay, now I reinstalled the bridge plate with all the washers to the sideplate but I did not attach the side plate to the frame yet.  I held the spool and tighten down the star and again, absolutely no drag.  >:(

Here is the Biggie that I discovered....the drag did work!  It was the accurate spool that was the problem.

I wish I could take pictures because believe it or not, the spool shaft inside of the spool was free wheeling.  Yes, the pinion was holding the spool shaft good, but the shaft was spinning giving the appearance that the drag system was failing.  I would have never been able to figure this out without dismantling the sideplate and reassembling everything without the sideplate.

I actually totally removed the shaft from the spool and looked inside to see if there was some kind of key or ear that keeps the spool from separating or free wheeling on the spool shaft.  Absolutely nothing!  The spool shaft was smooth and the inside of the spool was smooth.

Then it dawned on me that it must be the same concept as the shimano torium ARB system.  Although the ARB clinders are smooth and the roller clutch inner tube is smooth, when you put the two together, the metal will grab onto the other metal.  Therefore,  I wiped off some of the excess oil on the spool shaft and tapped it back into the spool.  PROBLEM SOLVED!  :)

I reinstalled everything and now the drag is perfect.

What a new experience!  :o

Thanks again all.

Jimmer

You might want to stake the spool to the shaft or knurl the shaft where it holds the spool to reduce the possibility it will start turning on the shaft and fail under high drag settings.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Cortez_Conversions

I'd replace that spool. It will fail again.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on April 08, 2012, 11:47:31 PM
I'd replace that spool. It will fail again.
X2! ;) Keep that one for souveneer, it will never be right again.

Keta

Quote from: Pescachaser on April 08, 2012, 11:51:07 PM
Lee:  What does stake mean?

Punching with a center punch in 2 or 3 places to displace metal and hold the part in place.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain