Drag Curve - reducing it for Kite Fishing

Started by flvol77, April 09, 2012, 06:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flvol77

I am getting into Kite Fishing here on the east coast of Florida, as most know or may not know a steep drag curve isn't very good with sails, kings etc

Avets make a south Florida drag cam, but I hate how on the Avets the strike position is way too easy to blow past and on the SF Cam its even easier.

I am looking at some daiwa saltist 50's single LD - I have no problem opening up my reels and playing with them, my question is how can I configure the Saltist so I can reduce the curve?

Any ideas.  I really don't want to spend $400 x 8 for the new BXL accurates (awesome reels but not in the budget)

Its either the Avets and figuring out how the strike position, or changing the configuration of the washers on the Daiwa's.

thanks

akfish

If you have 2 speed Avets, you can now get an upgrade with a ratchet and hard stop to make it impossible to accidentally push past strike accidentally.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

conchydong

flvol77

Thanks for the info but a two speed is useless in south florida, especially when you are using 4 to 6 pounds of drag at strike.

I can only imagine if they are offering it on a two speed that they may have plans to add it to the single speeds, only problem is I am in the market for a reels with in the next six months.

conchydong

I understand about the 2 speed deal. The Single Speed Talicas have a FL Drag Cam also. Maybe that's something else you can look at.