How far do i go?

Started by nagz, April 10, 2012, 12:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagz

hi guys,

just another quick newby question.

i have been doing a fair bit of tinkering and am now confident in dissassembling and reassembling my small baitcasters.  
my question is, how do give the reels a good going over in terms of cleaning and re-lubricating, do i need to go any further than what is pictured? i was thinking a light brush with a tooth brush with some degreaser and a good air dry?

and if not, how do i go about cleaning the grease from what is pictured?

cheers

the reel is a daiwa alphas r-edition btw

redsetta

G'day nagz, everyone will have their own take, but I use a toothbrush and a bit of white spirit to clean off old grease etc, then dry and wipe down thoroughly with a clean rag.
I always completely disassemble all component parts, as those last few can conceal grit, corrosion etc.
Also, the bearings under the handle shaft and clutch plate can't be accessed without a full strip down.
Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

nagz

cheers redsetta,
guess i have some more tinkering to do.  i pulled out the top spring in the pic, man was it hard to get back in there without pliers lol
white spirit and a toothbrush sounds easy enough though

thanks very much mate

alantani

see the bearing in the center?  that has to be pulled, carefully packed with grease and reinstalled.  there might also be a bearing under the drive shaft.  you have to remove it to pack the pinion support bearing anyway.  yeah, it all has to come out......   :-\

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nagz

thanks alan.

i was kinda hoping i could cut some corners :)  a bad habit to fall into lol