Symptoms of a bent spool shaft on a spinner

Started by zward, April 10, 2012, 01:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zward

Just wondering if any of you guys have had experience with this. I recently picked up a penn 650ss on ebay and after giving it the once over, everything feels good and smooth, however when you really crank on the handle and get it spinning fast, there's a vibration and it kind of looks like the spool is wobbling. It has that oscillating, wobbly feel that makes me think spool shaft. I'm going to pull this one apart in a couple days (have two other 650ss's that I'm in the process of bringing back to life) and I'll put the shaft on the lathe to check the runout, but just curious if those of you who have replaced a spool shaft can comment on the symptoms.

Thanks!
Zane

akfish

Sounds like a bent shat to me too. I see that fairly often up here on reels that have been used with spectra for snagging salmon. You'll know the shaft is bent if it hangs up when you pull it through the pinion gear.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

zward

Thanks for the info! My brother lives in Anchorage and I was in Soldatna last summer 'flossing' reds, that was a riot but I could see how someone would bend a spool shaft doing that, think I'd have to wear a face shield and nut cup if I were to ever use braid for that! ;D