Hot roding my Avet 4/0

Started by LAChamp, June 08, 2009, 08:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAChamp

I saw your thread the 1st day you posted it and have wanted to do it every since. I even have it printed out and sitting on my work bench. My question is, are you still able to set the drap at strike at 30% or so of the line by ajusting the side knob? You say that the drag is "on or off". Does that mean that I may have to set that line % somewhere at the begining stage of the lever instead of at the strike position? Hope that makes sense.

alantani

there is a slight progression as you push the drag lever forward, but it ramps up pretty quick.  for some lighter line applications, you would be better off leaving the drag pressure plate in the higher position.  how high a drag setting are you looking for?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LAChamp

I have 80lb JB on it now and set it around 22lbs at strike. Been fishing grouper in 90' and having them brake off in structure before I can pull them out of it. Thinking of putting 130lb on it and going up to around 36lbs at strike. I have it on a custom Super Seeker, so rod is not a problem.

alantani

i'd say set the drag plate on the lower set of pins.  that should give you 35 pounds of drag.  your 80# jb should handle 30 pound of drag easily.  let's try that before spending another $200 on a full spool of hollow core spectra.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

LAChamp

Good point. I'll ramp up the drag at strike and see what happens. Thanks