penn long beach 267

Started by taytin, June 11, 2009, 12:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taytin

first of all i would like to thankyou alan for all the helpful imformation you provide on this web site
i was looking for a cheap little reel to strart out ulua fishing and was wondering if you know what the the max drag is on the long beach 267 & 268 or any insight you have on these old reels thanks again

taytin

was also wondering if you still selling any type of reels

alantani

figure 5 pounds of drag at the very most.  you're in trouble if you hook something big.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

taytin

alright i won't waste my time thanks

snookcatcher1

A buddy is sending me a long beach to fix up.  He said that the screws fell out while fighting a fish.  That seemed odd to me.  Any idea what I should be looking for?  Will the screws strip before the threads inside the reel strip?  Never heard of a real falling apart like that before.  I've heard of reels breaking (side plates and spools), but not screws coming out.  My understanding is that the discontinued Long Beach was a made in USA reel.  I expected it to hold up a little better.

franky

Quote from: taytin on June 11, 2009, 12:50:24 AM
i was looking for a cheap little reel to strart out ulua fishing and was wondering if you know what the the max drag is on the long beach 267 & 268

Hello taytin,

If you are fishing for ulua and are thinking about using penn reels, I would suggest using the HLW113 4/0 model.  If not the extended 4/0, I would at least suggest the regular penn 4/0 reel.  At least you have a fighting chance.  :)

Bryan Young

Aloha Taytin,

What class are you planning on fishing for Ulua?  20#, 30#, 50#, 60# or greater than 60# test line?  If you are using under 50# line, you can get away with the spinner slide bait set-ups.  I have used my Penn Long Beach 259 and have caught a few 15# Ulua using 30# line.  My max drag is probably 6# so fighting the fish was...shall we say, difficult and lost a bunch due since I could not winch it in.  The low gear ratio didn't help much when the fish swam towards me, but it can be done.  Another good starter reel is a jigmaster.  Many of my friends still use jigmasters with 30# test line and catch a few.

This was my way to get started, learning how to cast and deal the backlashes.  It was also easier to cast lighter weight and to get your timing down before moving up to the big guns.

Next will be a 4/0 (113H) with 50#.  I prefer the 113H instead of the 113HLW (although I have one) because I find it more difficult to cast and reel in, esp. trying to guide the line while fighting a fish.  Although I haven't caught my BIG one yet (biggest was 30# on Kauai), I'm sure that wouldn't make that much of a difference.  In hind sight, I would probably have gone with a 6/0 (114H) instead of the 113HLW.  It's a bigger reel, but feels more balanced on the rod.  This is just my opinion.

I'll be at Alan's house tomorrow.  Let me see if I can find something for you to consider.

@Snookcatcher1 - Seems rather odd.  I've seen screws back out during boat rides, but they were usually on reels where the screws were never checked after probably years of use, so I would not count that as a flaw, but user error.  Most likely, if the line is too much for the reel, the reel will warp and just stop working, then the line breaks.  Please post pics of the reel when you receive it and let us know what the issue is and how you fixed it.

Bryan

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

snookcatcher1

Quote from: snookcatcher1 on February 02, 2011, 12:43:28 AM
A buddy is sending me a long beach to fix up.  He said that the screws fell out while fighting a fish.  That seemed odd to me.  Any idea what I should be looking for?  Will the screws strip before the threads inside the reel strip?  Never heard of a real falling apart like that before.  I've heard of reels breaking (side plates and spools), but not screws coming out.  My understanding is that the discontinued Long Beach was a made in USA reel.  I expected it to hold up a little better.

The screws missing had come out of the reel seat.  It's really a non-issue after all.  False alarm by the newbie. :-[