LX dammage

Started by Keta, April 12, 2012, 05:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have a LX that has the handle side of the spool edge and frame worn down and the bearing pusher and bellville washers fused together???????   The only thing I can think would cause this is the side plate comming loose with a hot fish on.  The owner is not talking. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

that or a bent spool shaft?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I can check that, thanks.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

My guess is that they guy probably had a big fish (Oregon) and tried to stop the that fish from running while the boat was drifting away.  Locked up the drags (which were probably not greased), which also damaged by bearing (which I have seen that bad bearings will shift the spool to the direction of the force and rubbed the frame).  After figuring out that the fish was bigger than could be stopped, broke the line.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

That might be what happened, he is new to LD reels and we often get spooled by something big when albacore fishing, I'm betting BFT.

The large spool bearing was blue from heat and the pinion had a cracked race.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

That's like taking a 22 cal. to shoot a bear.   In both cases, you will not like what will happen next.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

It only took me one time seeing my line go away before changing to my 30's for trolling.

Mark Twain

JGB

Sounds very bad. locked down the drag to the point the bearings seized and heated up. I would not be surprised if the spool shaft and bearing bores are shot. Recommend having him send it to Avet for repair/service and see what they do for him. Avet service is $30 plus parts and includes 100% replacement of all bearings (might even incl return shipping). Once he gets it back then service it to your standards (greased drags, packed bearings ...). FYI Avet does not believe in greased drags and will replace if the finds this.

Jim N.

Keta

I suggested he send it to Avet or scrap it.

Mark Twain