I have to trim a reel seat

Started by Eatmycatch, April 12, 2012, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eatmycatch

I bought a graphite rod that I want to use an old Penn on that will not fit in the reel seat on the rod. Now I know the reel seat on the reel is crome over brass...

If I take a dremel and trim down the seat to fit in the rod...I will have exposed brass..Is there something I can put over the exposed brass to prevent corrosion? Crome Paint?,.....anything? Or should I not trim the seat at all and just use a different reel??

alantani

which reel?  grinding it down should not be a problem. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broschro

Slap a coat of paint over it and it should be just fine. :D :D

Keta

What reel? 

A 30-66 is interchangeable with a 30-209 and the 209 part fits a small rod, I have a Surfmaster 150 I put a 30-209 base on.  Penn has replaced the 30-209 with the 30-66 now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

The 30-66 is now stainless steel.

Eatmycatch

I have two of them, actually that are small light & would fit perfectly with a light fluking setup. They are both old penns. One is a 160 the other is a squidder 146. I don't need a strong drag for either one of the reels, fishing for fluke. Niether will fit into the bottom part of the reel seat. I even have a new Avet SX that is supposed to have the smaller seat and that barely fits. The top fits fine but rounded bottom part just, the very corners of the reel seat fit into the pole, not that I would use the Avet SX for this app, just to give you an example.

Two things I don't like are
1- I'm afraid to tight it too much in fear of cracking the graphite seat because just the corners of the reel seat are hitting any of the graphite

2 - what  is by chance a big fish winds up getting hooked, whats to guarantee the bottom of the real won't pop out

The Rod is a tsunami trophy series 701 MH

So i guess than any crome paint with a small brush will prevent any further corrosion after I dremel down each side. There isn't much that has to be taken off but I do want the reel to fit into the bottom of the seat. Not just corners of the reel seat...

Keta: If I'm not mistaken isn't the 150 & 160 similar in parts? If so , you found a seat that fits into the small fuji rod seats? Penn has replaces the 30-209 with the 30-66, does anyone know if the 30-66 will fit?

Never mind my previous statement the 150 is not similar as the 160, the 155 is...

Keta

A Penn 9 or 10 base might work for the 146, I'll check and get back to you.  Your 160 takes a 30-65, I think I have a 65 at the shop and I'll check to see if anything I have will do what you want.

The Surfmaster 150 is a 145 Squidder width 200/100 Surfmaster (3:1 gearing").  I'm trying to get 4 or 5 of them together for a "old school" albacore trip, troll with the 150s and cast with the 100s.  I will "cheat" and fill the reels with 40lb spectra. 

Do you have an aluminum 150 (29L-150) or 100 (29L-100) spool you want to trade for a new Tiberon 146 spool?

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

The Penn 10 base is too wide and the 65 was a 60.

Mark Twain

Eatmycatch

Keta, I am so sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't have a 150 at all. No reel or parts for one either for that matter. I do apologize for the number confusion on my part. The reel I am working on now to fit into the"very small" fuji reel seat is a 160 aluminum spool. And after looking at scotts specs the 160 & 155 are similar, no t the 150... 2 totally different reels.

The 160 came with a fat and thick reel stand! (# 30-66) Total overkill in my opinion in comparison to the stength of the reel. The drag washers are so tinny, I don't know why they built such a heavy duty real stand for it.

Anyway here is where I am at now...I started my experimenting on the 160 because I can still buy those stands at a fairly reasonable price. I did not mess with or experiment with the 146 stand because they are so hard to get, that when you do find one the seller usually wants your first born for a price. So it really isn't worth it....yet

So since dremeling was going to take too long I used a straight edged file, believe me I had to file off so much brass I should have taken it to market to get a price for it lmao :)

I not only had to file down both sides of the stand to make them narrower, I also had to make it less thick overall. The stand was actually in original condition too thick to even fit into the bottom part of the seat :) It really is amazing what you can do with just a file, straight on 1 side and rounded on the other. After checking each side  of the stand, to make sure they would fit I realized the stand itself was slightly too long even, so I shortened that up a little, & last but not least, I don't know if this was the way the reel was designed or did it get damaged slightly before my friend gave it to me. It was basically a non functioning reel, laying around in his Dad's garage collecting dust, when I got it. I had to bend the stand bars so that it would go down nice and smooth into the reel seat and the top screw down cover would go over it with out any force.

Like I said the rod itself is not by far an expensive rod, but when you fall in love with a blank, the money part goes out the window. i'm sure a lot of you have seen the old trophy series of tsunami rods but the blank is fast action, very strong for it's width, it is a beautiful  color grey with a mesh outside lining...it is just perfect for fishing up to 2 oz. bucktails.

It really is a shame ( i wanted to use my 146 with it) I don't want to mess with my squidder 146 till I am sure to be able to cover up all the brassing marks, because my squidder I done so much work on that reel, I hand polished every single part , that in free spool it spins twice as long as my brand new Avet SX does. My 146 Squidder is my baby, I love that reel.

Anyway I wanted to give you guys an update on where I'm at, the reel (160) fits now fine, but I want to do something to cover the brass. Do they make paint that will come close to matching what is over the copper now, or is there a paint I can buy to cover the whole stand?

This is a hobby for me, I like to take pride in my little improvisions and don't want to just slop any old paint on it...I want it to look like it belongs there...:) It's not about not having another reel to use for it its more about taking an old reel you really like make it look as close to as new as possible and maybe even pimp it out a little but..It is one of the best and fun hobbies I ever took up..Also this is one of the kindest and polite websites I have come across on the internet

Thanks for understanding.

Keta

No misunderstanding, I have the 150, you have a 146.   

A 29-100 from a 100 Surfmaster fits my Lamiglass rods with a small reel seats and will work on your 146.  They are available but for over $20.00 and it sounds like your problem is solved.

Mark Twain

Eatmycatch

Keta 29-100 good to know... i thought the albacore special was the Jigmaster Jr. I have 1 of those a Penn 99 "Silver Beach Model" with the beautiful picture on the side of the reel enscribed into it.

Actually that is my next project, I have the parts already, I have to  dremel out the old clicker and peen in a new one on the Silver Beach. I have no aluminum spools for it anyway, I have the original crome over over brass spool, and recently just landed a black plastic one for an extremely cheap price that I just had to take it.. :)

Thank you for the heads up on the reel seat issue and part number for my 146...For a minute I though I was goin nuts, when the new Avet SX didn't fit, that came with the new smaller stands... :) They did say though that there are a "few" fuji seats out there that won't even fit the avet sx improved reel stand...to me this makes this whole hobby all the more fun..It is peaceful & rewarding when you do get everything to work right... ;D

Eatmycatch

Keta or anyone else who may know this answer:  ???

I found a place that has the part #30-49 but after you choose the part number it asks you for which reel. The choices are 100M, 110, 146L, 249, 49L, 49L-LH, 501, or 506HS.

I was always led to believe a part number is a part number 30-49 being the part, I didn't believe there were any variations to the cut or shape of the part#

Now did I understand you correctly in that I should order part number 30-49 for the 100M reel?, and that this part is cut different than my part 30-49 for the 146 reel? Because the 30-49 for my 146 reel does (not) fit into this small fiuji reel seat. Just a piece of each bottom corner fit , it doesn't come close to sliding all the way into the bottom holder. Which seems to be a good way to crack the poles reel seat..

I apologize if these questions are a pain to you or anyone else who may know the answer to help me out. If there is 2 things I have learned is
1: There are no stupid questions, just the ones not asked
2: There are no definites taken for granted when it comes to reel parts, especially when it comes to Penn and all the great classic reels they used to make.

I really envy those days when Penn had all those cool choices of reels to choose from, & all the cool conversions they made for them. It really is a shame that all that is good in this world we seem to slowly lose one day at a time, only to get replaced by inferiority in my opinion... You can say all you want about the new reels today that are so much lighter, and faster, and have a valid point. But IMHO no one made a reel better than Penn did.....

Thank you for any answers to my question pertaining to the part number..

Catch

Keta

The 30-100M is the same width as the 30-49 but with a smaller foot, keep looking. 
If you do find a source for 30-100s let me know where, I need 2.

Mark Twain

Eatmycatch

Keta ~ that part as far as I am told predates Scotts inventory. Were talking the 50's maybe. It really is a shame that Penn seems to want nothing to do with all those nice reels they made..

I'm gonna figure out what I'll do, probably take my old 30-49 file it up and but a new one, for my 146. Just so I'll still have a fully functional 146 :)

BTW ~ The guys at Scotts are really nice people. I'm not promo'in for anyone I usually say whats on my mind & I will say this: that they do care and have the same fondness I do for a Penn reel.

everyone now adays is concerned about lightness, this and this only weighs that....I'm waiting for one day for a guy to take a cast off the boat and have the whole shabang go with it because it is so light..... ;D

I got arthritis in almost all of my joints and you don't hear me complaining about how heavy a frigging fishing pole  or reel is...

broschro

Quote from: Eatmycatch on April 13, 2012, 09:41:12 PM
Keta ~ that part as far as I am told predates Scotts inventory. Were talking the 50's maybe. It really is a shame that Penn seems to want nothing to do with all those nice reels they made..

I'm gonna figure out what I'll do, probably take my old 30-49 file it up and but a new one, for my 146. Just so I'll still have a fully functional 146 :)

BTW ~ The guys at Scotts are really nice people. I'm not promo'in for anyone I usually say whats on my mind & I will say this: that they do care and have the same fondness I do for a Penn reel.

everyone now adays is concerned about lightness, this and this only weighs that....I'm waiting for one day for a guy to take a cast off the boat and have the whole shabang go with it because it is so light..... ;D

I got arthritis in almost all of my joints and you don't hear me complaining about how heavy a frigging fishing pole  or reel is...
so true