Penn Parts and Replacement After Market Parts

Started by Leif, April 12, 2012, 09:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leif

It seem like everytime I build/upgrade a Penn reel there is some tweeking, adjusting or McGuivering to do.
It seems the same parts vary in quality and some fit better than others. This seems to be the case with Accurate, Jvaraince, Penn parts, Pro Gear, ect. Tweeked/bridge shafts, varying tolerances seem to be the rule. I was building a Penn 99 accurate conversion yesterday and went through 2 bridges, and 2 sleeves before it was perfect.

Is it just me or just part of the game? I think I know the answer.

Leif    
Cod is King

Norcal Pescador

Hmmmmmm .... ???   Can't say I've ever had problems with Penn parts or Newell gears for Penns.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Must be that crap from China. I did have issues with the pro -gear bridge in the past, Penn sleeve doesn't lineup with it, but with a  little tweaking you can make it work. Never had any problems with replacement parts from Scott's.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Penn has liberal tolerances.  If the play is unacceptable I have a bunch of shim washers that cure most problems.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

QuotePenn has liberal tolerances.  If the play is unacceptable I have a bunch of shim washers that cure most problems.
x2
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

borchcl

I am always short the small, thin shims needed to tighten some of the loose places. Does anyone have a source for a variety pack of shims, new or used?
Thanks
borchcl

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

borchcl

Thanks Keta, I have a list started for McMasters, I should have looked there.
borchcl

Eatmycatch

Leif, if that pic of the gold reel you posted used to be a Penn 99 all I can say is WOW! That is one fabulous job of pimping your ride. ;D

Leif

Quote from: Eatmycatch on April 13, 2012, 04:02:49 PM
Leif, if that pic of the gold reel you posted used to be a Penn 99 all I can say is WOW! That is one fabulous job of pimping your ride. ;D

That's the 99!
Accurate plates
Accurate Frame
Tiburon Clamp
Tiburon Heavy Duty Spool
Accurate 5:1 stainless gears
Smooothie Stainless Yoke
Smooothie Drags/newell upgrade
Accurate 8 shooter handle
Alan Tani Stainless Bridge Sleeve

Thanks,

Leif