reels to buy

Started by willybendit, April 13, 2012, 07:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willybendit

Hi All   im after a little bit of advice  whats the best reel to buy a Okuma makaira 30 or the shimano tiagra 30  ive the tiagra 50 and have seen the Okuma really cheep over hear in the UK  Makaira 30 £200 & the 50 £250  the tiagra 50 W cost me £550    the 30lbs class reels i use for common skate fishing & the 50lbs class reels will be used for porbeagle shark fishing   also any info on the bouz drag gauge ( the red )  one   tightlines Alain

Irish Jigger

I wouldn't touch an Okuma reel ever again in the UK. Had to repair a batch of new Classic XT multipliers which all failed on their first outing last year. Absolutely no backup from Okuma who refused to answer my emails.
These reels are cheap Chinese junk,absolutely worthless and useless.
Be safe and go for Shimano,they have a great backup and spares department in Wales. 

Once bitten twice shy. ;)

willybendit

Hi Irish Jigger    thanks for your reply   the okuma range of reel`s ive come across are doggie do do  hear in the uk (york)  but ive seen a aussie charter skipper ( peter Kaluma) who uses the Makaira range of reels  there was a chap in kent selling the two sizes of  makaira a 30 & a 50 lbs  the 30 was £200 retail is £350  & the 50 @ £250 retail  £430  seems cheep if the reels are any good  i do have the 50lbs class tiagra  and love it  but @ £550 its not a cheep reel to buy and that was a discounted price ? not sure the full retail price is  Tightlines Alain

Irish Jigger

Hi Alain, there are a lot of guys on here who have very high regards for  the Makaira 30 and 50'S and  will be able to advise you regarding the higher end reels than the ones I repaired.
Good Luck with the Porgies. Some great ones caught off Donegal over the past couple of years. ;D

Bryan Young

The Makaira line of reels are way better than the reels of the past.  These reels were developed in partnership with Tiburon.  Don't get me wrong, Tiagras are great reels, but I would personally buy the Makaira as they are better reels with a double drag system versus a single drag systems.  More stopping power with less damage to your pinion bearing.  Additionally, Madaira has silent double dogs versus that ratching double dog system in the Tiagra.  There are a host of others, but you cannot go wrong with a 5 year warrenty versus 1 year.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

willybendit

Hi Brian   Thanks for your reply    im now looking for the chap`s address in Kent ill buy two 50lbs class Makaira for the price of one Tiagra 50w  tightlines Alain

Bryan Young

The reels should be good right out of the box, but I prefer doing a pre-use service on all my reels.  Pack right and left side plate bearings, and spool bearings if trolling with the reel.  If live baiting, then clean, open bearings with light lubricant (TSI301, ReelX, or CorrosionX).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

right now, the makaira se series is the only reel that i would recommend fishing with, straight out of the box, no modifications, with absolute confidence. no other reel, none anywhere, get that recommendation.  okuma listened.  no one else is.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JGB

The Makaira reels are a top shelf reel that is setting the standard in the industry. This is a new place for Okuma to be and is well deserved.
Keep in mind that the spool capacity of the MK20,30 and 50 are much larger that that of the Penn Internationals. The 20 holds the same as a Penn 30/30W. The 20 and 30 share the same drag and gearing producing 55# of drag. The 50 and 80 produce 85# of drag. These reels have proven to be  very reliable and handle very large fish easily ( I have a MK80 coming in to check out that has caught 8 BFT- 1 over 1000# and 7 over 700# on a single trip). I did look at the EU sight and they do not speak of the warranties. In the USA it is 5 years and in AUS it is life time (they pay more for the reel).
If you get the standard MK you can service it to the new SEa standard by simply servicing the bearings. The free spool will go from very good to excellent (If you do the service). Also the MK30 and larger are NOT topless while the MK10-MK20 and all the SEa series are Topless including the MK30 SEa. The MK30 SE is different from the MK30 SEa. The MK30 SEa has a longer handle arm and a lower low speed gear.

The Tiagras are also very good reels. They do not have the latest technology but still perform well. Many will upgrade the handle arm to a longer arm. Be sure to protect the gear shaft sleeve where it screws into the side plate with grease. It is easily missed and corrosion here will render the right side plate useless over time. Tiagras also respond well to sleeving.

Jim N.

willybendit

Thanks for All the Advice  I could Kick myself as i carn`t find the guys address in kent  ive got a tiagra 50 WA & a TLD 50A plus two GLD 50s   but at £200 for makaira 30 & £250 for the 50 i would of bought some  well two of each  ill just have to wait untill its my birthday to buy another tiagra 50   the one i have is B/new  im not sure how it takes apart ill have a go and if i get stuck i know where to come   tightlines Alain