First question!

Started by springwell, April 13, 2012, 11:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springwell

Well,

After such a nice welcome, here comes my first question.

I'm slowly trying to build up a collection of Penns which I will refurbish and use. I just like the simplicity of using them. I get some odd looks from my colleagues when I turn up on the beach with a modern rod and a basic Penn on it, who cares I enjoy using them!

Now my problem is all my other modern multipliers are left hand wind.

Which Penn "conventionals" are easily converted to LHW and is it cost effective, perhaps I should just get used to RHW as the choice is so much greater. I've heard of some bodge conversions just reversing gears, pawls etc, don't fancy that as they are not designed to be reversed in my opinion.

I've noticed some of the USA parts suppliers supply kits, but the cost is greater than the second hand reel, also import duties and taxes etc really crank up the price.

Also as I'm in the UK apart from a couple of suppliers, conversion spares are limited, I think, unless someone ( Irish Jigger :)) can put me right.

Seems in cost terms I may be stuck with right hand refurbishments  :(

All the best for now.

Bill

There is a fine line between the angler and madness

akfish

Many Penns can be converted to LH; however, it's rarely cheap. You need a complete se of gears, a bridge, gear sleeve and star. MysticParts.com sells conversion kits for many reels. It's almost always cheaper to search for a LH reel to begin with.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

springwell

Quote from: akfish on April 13, 2012, 01:27:36 PM
Many Penns can be converted to LH; however, it's rarely cheap. You need a complete se of gears, a bridge, gear sleeve and star. MysticParts.com sells conversion kits for many reels. It's almost always cheaper to search for a LH reel to begin with.

Thanks, that's what I thought, just keep searching or get used to RHW.

Bill

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Irish Jigger

I agree with akfish,conversions need a lot of new parts which are not cheap.
Nice  LH Jigmaster 500 on here, may be worth looking at. I have dealt with this seller (for stainless steel posts) and his shipping charges to the UK are very reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PENN-REEL-500-LEFT-HAND-NICE-GOOD-CONDITION-/110859994987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfc5476b#ht_500wt_1203

springwell

Quote from: Irish Jigger on April 14, 2012, 01:46:39 PM
I agree with akfish,conversions need a lot of new parts which are not cheap.
Nice  LH Jigmaster 500 on here, may be worth looking at. I have dealt with this seller (for stainless steel posts) and his shipping charges to the UK are very reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-PENN-REEL-500-LEFT-HAND-NICE-GOOD-CONDITION-/110859994987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cfc5476b#ht_500wt_1203

Many thanks for that,

Looks very nice  :)

Bill

Irish Jigger

Re your Jigmaster 500 conversion to LH. "Penn Servicing" has one complete set of  LH parts which includes a complete bridge as the a/r pawl is on the opposite side to the RH one. £25 the set.
Good Luck .

springwell

Great,

Thanks for that, I'll get in touch with them.

Bill

alantani

remember that the gear teeth are angled, meaning that there are left handed gears and right handed gears.  changing over the gear sleeve and star alone will not work as long as you have right handed gears in the side plate.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Irish Jigger

Re reply#5 above.  Thank's Alan. A set of LH gears is included in the £25 set of conversion parts.

Bruce

Hello   Not to hi jack this thread but Alan what you said about gear sleeve and star seems to be what someone did to a squidder Ihave because to increase or decrease drag you must spin star opposite any ofthe other 15  Penn reels  or any other brand qwned.
         I had thought about that earlier today while changing a reel frame and did not know for sure if that were possible.
          I believe you have solved the problem. Now to buy more parts and put it right.

Thank you B.
Buzz