How much Cal's to order?

Started by davepjr71, April 13, 2012, 02:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davepjr71

A guy is selling cals by the ounce.  I have 8 Penns that I plan on servicing the drags.  How many ounces should I get to start with?  Would 2 be adequate or get more if I can t osave shipping?

Keta

2 oz should be more than enough for 8 reels but I prefer to get my drag grease by the pound.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

davepjr71

Thank you.  I orderd 4 in the event I work on eels for other people.  I have 4 or 5 older Penn's that could use some TLC and rebuild. 

Dominick

This is a serious question.  Has anyone ever used lard?  I think it has the same consistency as Cal's.  It would get loose in the heat and stiffen in the cold, but it would remain slippery.  On second thought it might change to oil in the heat.  Never mind.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: davepjr71 on April 13, 2012, 02:56:05 PM
Thank you.  I orderd 4 in the event I work on eels for other people.  I have 4 or 5 older Penn's that could use some TLC and rebuild. 

Just using the Cal's for drag washers, I've done probably 20 reels and haven't even used 1 ounce yet. I'm not stingy with it, but getting them lubed right. But yeah, I bought two 1-ounce tubs to start and now carry the second one in my "mobile repair shop".
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

reefmonsta

Well I guess I should have read this thread before ordering a whole pound!  :-[

I only got about a dozen or so reels so I guess I'll have a bit extra.  If any of the local braddahs like an ounce or so, feel free to contact me.  I talked to Dawn and she said she mailed it out last week so should be here any day now.
reefmonsta

hafnor

I had this issue a couple of days ago too. On ebay the guy sold 1oz packs of cals and stated that one oz was good for 10 reels... I thought it was completely wrong so I ordered three... that is 3oz for 4 reels. well:) it was cheap....

Now on another note> the shimano and cals grease is a pretty cheap grease.... I read that Alan Hawk did not like the cal's grease so he used mo grease from Daiwa, fisherman drag grease and studio ocean mark grease... anyone tested those? VERY expensive stuff btw

tacoma09

I just recently ordered a pound from Dawn ;D. That will last me a while :D.

UK Ron

A 1oz pot has lasted me for about 20 reels so far, still a bit left in the pot.

bluefish69

I bought 1 oz of Cal's today for $8.75 on L.I. N.Y.  A Pound would last the rest of my life, I only own 20 reels.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

suitekids

There is a chap selling it on the bay from a bulk container in 1oz. containers for $3.75, I bought 2oz. and he puts it in a larger container, I believe it was $10.29 for 2 oz. shipped to Florida, seemed like a good deal to me. Now to find the Yami Marine Grease and some corrosion x..... I'll be lubed up for this season

Alto Mare

You could save over 50% if you purchase the 16oz container. If it is too much for you, fill 10-1 oz containers and make yourself some frinds, I'm sure they wuold return the favor somehow.... happens to me all the times ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

suitekids

you have made an extremely valid point!!!!

johnachak

Quote from: davepjr71 on April 13, 2012, 02:13:55 PM
A guy is selling cals by the ounce.  I have 8 Penns that I plan on servicing the drags.  How many ounces should I get to start with?  Would 2 be adequate or get more if I can t osave shipping?

That's funny, I too have 8 Penns. I also do work on reels for friends of mine who are unemployed / having a hard time. I bought 2 ozs. of Cals on Ebay and it has already serviced the drags on almost a dozen reels with more than 1 1/2 oz left. I only use it on the drags to save money. I have a couple of 2 oz Penn blue precision grease that I use for the rest of the reels (Gears etc.).

misanthrope

1oz gets me 4 reels, I use it on just about EVERYTHING inside the reel except for Reel X on the ball bearings. In the grand scheme of things, it's cheap compared to the reel so why not?

If 1 oz gets me 4 reels at say $5 per ounce. That cost me $1.25 to grease each reel. So say you have a $500.00 reel, that's .25% of the cost of the reel. So say I used 10 reels this season, that's $8.75 I spent to regrease my reels I used. Compared to the $3k long range trip you just went on or the $50 you spend on premium fuel for your vehicle to get to the charter boat, I'd say that's a cheap insurance fee.

Just my .02

-Will
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown