Penn 330 frozen pinion to axle removal tip.

Started by Ken_D, April 14, 2012, 06:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

I don't do many 320/330 reels, so I have only had three cases of this malady so far. Therefore I did not think long on other removal ideas, till this morning.

Once I got the bridge out of the reel, and the main gear off the driveshaft, all I did was take the two long-threaded bridge screws, and insert them in the two bridge holes equal and opposite the spool axle.

That done, I just screwed down slowly...~equal and opposite~ till the pinion popped loose.  Next time I do this, I will place shims on the sidewall of the spool, as I did scuff off the black coating where the screw came down. No big deal...

I place barrier grease on the sidewalls anyway, and the sport will never know there are two pinpoints of shine on the spool, and that his pinion was ever frozen at all.  Hope this helps. KD.

redsetta

Great tip Ken.
I do loads of GTI/GTO/GT2 Penns and this is a very common problem.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

you know, i never thought of that !!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ken_D

I hope this saves some time, and some hassle for folks...I know I was grateful I did not score the pinion, and cause the dreaded thump-thump from a mashed tooth... ;)  About all I can add is to go quite slowly and equal when tightening down the screws, and reiterate spool protection to prevent removal of a spot of anodizing on the spool wall. Slowly to mean turning the screwdriver slowly, and not very far.

Bryan Young

Thanks Ken,  This definitely beats the vice and hammer approach. ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Irish Jigger