Ocean City 167

Started by bottomfeeder, April 14, 2012, 09:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottomfeeder

I finally got the Ocean City 167 out to get ready for a sharkin trip to Galveston this week and it is extremely hard to turn the reel handle :'(. I pulled it apart and everything seems to turn freely with the exception of one thing. The threaded shaft that the handle is afixed to is extemely hard to turn and acts like it is binding, I will post some pics .  We are heading out to the the coast on tuesday the 17th of next week.  I would greatly appreciate any advice to getting this puppy in good working order by then if possible. The shaft that the handle connects to is held in place on the back side of a plate by a round button of some sort and then the big gear and drag washers are assembled in place followed by the star drag and then handle.  The handle when turned turns the shaft and the button on the back of the plate appears to be splintering when the handle is turned. Is this normal?  Also, what on the shaft drives the main gear to turn the spool gear? I know this is alot of info at once but, the reel has only been used a time or two after a rebuild and now all of the sudden it won't even turn. Help!!! Thanks in advance guys.

Dominick

Bottomfeeder:  If I understnd you correctly the shaft turns instead of the sleeve.  The bottom you are pointing to should be rigid and remain rigid.  See if you can get someone to tack weld it in place.  I think that the original is hammered in place like a rivet.  At any rate it should solid and not turn.  It might have broken loose and turns because something is binding in the sleeve.  Does the sleeve turn?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bottomfeeder

The sleeve and shaft turn. But, I did get it working. The sleeve was bound to the shaft. So I mechanically separated the two and got it all back together and now it works like a champ. Thanks for the advise. And a big thanks to Alan! You're the man!!! ;)

Dominick

Glad it worked out.  Now get some fish.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

I'm still confused. If the shaft that is connected to the bridge plate has any movement, you will need a new bridge. Lee could probably find a way to fix it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.