Now I just need some Halibut

Started by seaeagle2, April 14, 2012, 11:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaeagle2

Here's what this board has done to me, I went from 2 Penn 320 gti's to from right to left, Newell Yellowtail Special with 4:1 gears, Jvariance  Yellowtail Special with 4:1 gears (note the "pink" line on that one for my wife), 113H with Newell Bars, and a 113H with aluminum spool. The YTS's have 65 lb powerpro and the 113H's have 80lb ebay chinese dynema braid. Then the harpoon and gaff.  Our opener is May 3, so we're hitting it the 3rd and 4th, then shrimp opens the 5th so we'll hit the shrimp first then see if we can pick up a halibut.....
"One life, don't blow it" Kona Brewing
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

Nice gear, seaeagle, good luck with your opener. When you come back, we need to see what we could do about those handles. BTW any double dogs in those reels?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

seaeagle2

Honestly, the handle thing baffles me, personally I don't like the looks of the aftermarket handles except for the guy on ebay, but I can't see spending the money.  I sent a pm to Keta to order some stainless dogs but haven't got them yet.  I figured I'd wait til after the halibut season before I try the double dog thing.  I'm going to upgrade at least the YTS to the stainless gear sleeves.
\"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there\'d be a shortage of fishing poles\" Doug Larson

Alto Mare

I hear you seaeagle, but to me $35 is a small price to pay for great looking and functionality. Your handles would be ok, but I would recommend a larger knob, It will make a world of difference when cranking. I'm glad you're giving the double dogs a try.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

it's nice to fish with absolute confidence, isn't it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broschro

I'm with Sal on the handles, I to did not think they would have made much of a difference, but how I was wrong. With the offset and larger handle it is much more comfortable to reel.  8)

Bill B

Good looking gear....good luck on the opener... how deep will you be fishing and how much lead will you be droppin?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

seaeagle2

We drift off of "banks" so we usually start in somewhere between 60 to 100 feet depending on the bank, and drift out to about 180 to 240 or so.  We have 16, 20 and 24 oz cannon balls depending on the tide and wind, idea is to tap bottom, lift up a little, let out line to tap bottom again, repeat until halibut hits ;D

Bill B

Sounds like some tough fishing and some tough gear to handle it....the Penn's are some of the best and toughest out there....good luck can't wait to see some pics..
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

hafnor

Looks good! but we use much smaller reels for the action. reels that take 300m of 65# braid... What rods do you use?

seaeagle2

I use Diawa Condtender boat rods mostly.  I went into a large sporting goods store that was closing, and they were 50% off the last marked price, so I think I paid like 37 bucks for both, then I have a Tica that looks like the same blank, and an ancient St Croix that was my father in laws.

Alto Mare

Lets hope that if you do get lucky with a monster, it will be on that St Croix. I have a couple of those, I believe they're solid blank.

Maxed Out

Hey Seaeagle, I've got one of those exact st. croix rods if you're looking for another one, it's old school and pretty heavy action(unmarked poundage on rod). If you want it you can have it.

Those 113H reels are by far the best northwest halibut reel for the money. I have 5 that are used 35 miles offshore. Average depth we fish for halibut in that area is 600 to 700', and use at least 2 1/2 pounds of lead to get down there.....And the halibut "catching" success rate out there is 20 times better than the best day in the eastern straits on "the banks".

I'll be shrimping on the 5th as well, probably in area 8-2.

Shoot me a PM if you want that st. croix rod. I live pretty close to you and I'm sure we could meet up to avoid shipping hassles.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Ted, you never sease to amaze me, your a good man.
Go for it Seaeagle, I'm sure you'll make him happier if you accept. Ted has also spoiled me a few times in the past.

Keta

Quote from: Max Doubt on April 24, 2012, 12:51:54 AM
I'll be shrimping on the 5th as well, probably in area 8-2.

I keep getting invited by some friends to make another trip with them to the straights to target prawns, I should do it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain